What was your most unexpected surprise in hifi

How many threads can be generated on internet cables and switches.

10 Likes

Jimmy gets a lot of stick but, even though I donā€™t necessarily agree with a lot of his ideas, Iā€™ve always found him a thoughtful and interesting writer.

1 Like

Years backā€¦changing from QED 79 strand speaker cable at 79p/pm to Mission cable at Ā£2/pm. Never had such an uplift in performance since, including the Ā£2k cables I tried last year. Precisely what makes a cable ā€˜singā€™ remains a mystery.

3 Likes

Having NAC A5 made up using the correct plugs and solder by someone who really knows their onions - i think a lot of folks who have moved onto other cables and discounted NAC A5 from the outset, would be taken by surpriseā€¦

2 Likes

For me at the time it was the Hugo 1 completely eclipsing my NDAC/555PS in all areas other than low end bass grunt.
I remember sharing my findings on the old forum. and some people got so upset/incredulous over this disruptive influence experienced by not only me, but by more and more, although definitely not everyone. @Richard.Dane had to pull the thread temporarily discussing it as the candour and emotion from some members got out of handā€¦ the thread was later reinstated albeit pruned.

4 Likes

The biggest and most unexpected surprise I have had in hifi in more recent years was the combination of Ponoplayer and Sennheiser HD600s, particularly with the Senns wired up for balanced operation. I subsequently discovered that Charlie Hansen of Ayre Acoustics used HD600s for developing the audio stage of the Ponoplayer - and it all made sense. Itā€™s a performance that doesnā€™t blow you away in any particular spectacular way, but you just find yourself getting utterly engrossed in the music. Of all the many DAPs Iā€™ve owned or tried, this is the combination I keep coming back to. Iā€™ve even learned to love the rather basic, if unpretentious ā€œfisher priceā€ build and aesthetic of the Ponoplayer. However, the small touch screen and relatively short battery life are still a bit of a drag, but Iā€™ll forgive it for the performance.*

• a note of caution here. I have had four Ponoplayers and there is a bit of variance in their performance. The worst was fine albeit a bit disappointing overall compared to the best of them, which was definitely preferred over the other three.

Going a bit further back in years, another big and unexpected surprise was just how good old pre-recorded reel tapes could sound. I had inherited some US 7" four track reels and had been given an old Sony TC-377 that needed a full strip down, re-lube, and new belts. It was a fun project and when I finally got it up and running, I played some of the tapes and the sound quality was a revelation. It led me on a hunt for more tapes - mostly 7 1/2 ips 4 tracks - most of which I had to buy from the States or Canada. It also had me buying bigger and better reel to reel decks; at one point I think I had at least 20 of them, and had built up a pre-recorded tape collection of a few hundred titles. Unfortunately in more recent years the price of both decks and tapes has risen steeply so my purchasing has slowed almost to a standstill, and Iā€™ve instead been selling off many of the decks. However, I still have a pair of Revox, a bunch of Sonys, and a high speed 2 track Teac to play with, as well as lots and lots of tapes.

4 Likes

I have often considered this, but been able to find anyone who thought the change was that great.
Have to say that I donā€™t find lack of bass an issue with my gyro se. I use a rb330 and benz micro ace cartridge, fed into a trichord diablo phono stage.

Iā€™ll turn the money over againā€¦

It certainly made a difference to my ears and a good one to my mind too. I did some research and spoke to Michelle and what they said would be the difference is what happened. Bass lower and more defined mids but of course that may be psychological expectation! I have the techno arm and an Ortofon 2M Bronze. I think if there is a criticism of the Bronze it maybe that it is a touch light on the bass and this was in my thinking when I did the change. The phono stage is an artisan built Firebottle 2.

It looked funny, it didnā€™t cost the earth so obviously bogus. Tried one, and wham - I owe you one!

1 Like

How much and how many boxes people have just to listen to music.

6 Likes

In my case itā€™s been my Quadraspire Q4: I didnā€™t expect it could have had such an inpact on the mid and low range. It was a surprise!

Is it ā€œjustā€ to listen to music? Or is it to listen to music as good sounding as possible to achieve at home, or at least as good as the individual can afford? Then of course there is the hifi hobby aspect, where some people simply like to ā€˜playā€™, forever tweaking and adjusting and changing, because that is itself is pleasurable to them.

2 Likes

Hearing the chord Ultima 6 amp in the showroom and knowing straight away I was buying it

1 Like

While my SN3 was at Naim being repaired, I bought a used 282 and teamed it with my old XS2 as power amp. Boy, was I unprepared for the 282!
Mustā€™ve played a yearā€™s worth of music in the first weekā€¦
The SN3, once back at my dealers, was immediately p/exā€™d for a 250DR.

And Iā€™m not at all dissing the SN3, a lovely little beast - but the 282ā€¦blimey!

5 Likes

I donā€™t believe that. Surely a connection error. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Isoacoustic Gaia speaker feet. Not expecting that much lift in SQ from my humble Bronze 5s. So much so I have not moved them on. Does that make my system a mullet or a monkfish?

Also, getting a DC trap put in on my mains feed. Simple but very effective, no more transformer hum when wife dries her hair or son dims his bedroom lights. Has also cleaned up the soundstage somewhat.

Little things make the difference.

3 Likes

Lengthening or shortening (screwing) the spikes on the bottom of speaker stands affects the sound.

My system even making the Wombles sound good.

Such depth, such poignancy.

4 Likes

Please bear in mind Iā€™m old ish 50 plus at first time off hearing about the raspberry pie thing I wondered what the hell it was
But yep the more I read about the thing it just gets better and better at doing things
Maybe one day I might get my head around one and give it a try

Since when has 50 been old-ish? Just the start of being middle aged in my book!

6 Likes