What was your most unexpected surprise in hifi

Dial-a-Cliché Nigel.

“But I’ve read well and I’ve heard them said a hundred times, maybe less, maybe more”

It’s a cliche because it’s true.

What words should I say then Nigel?

And you have never said them? :wink:

What would Wilde say?

3 Likes

Ah, but what is ‘properly’? I’m easily impressed by a bit of Smiths knowledge though.

As it was recorded on the original master tape. But Hey! we all hear differently.

With my little modest setup, the Qutest has done something that I would expect to cost me a lot more money. So I’m at the beach on a sunny day with a big ice cream.

I had to get away from Naim streamers (problems still persisting) and the Mini and Qutest do a fine job.

As much as I like The Smiths (Morrissey is now trying his best to ruin the legacy) Talk Talk, David Sylvian and Lloyd Cole are my guys.

2 Likes

Does that mean does that? :laughing:

1 Like

I cannot get the idea of ‘properly’ and feel it’s meaningless. Sure you may like the sound and prefer it to something else, but there cannot be a right and wrong. That’s a good Joe Jackson song by the way. ‘Right and wrong, do you know the difference?’

I have irrational aversion to Chord; all that worshipping at the feet of Rob Watts is too much.

2 Likes

But have you ever tried one?

1 Like

I don’t think my poor heart could withstand the excitement! Imagine the feeling that I’d never heard anything properly before. It’s more than I could bear.

3 Likes

Imagine if it sounded close to or better than the NDX2/PS555DR. That would bring on a heart attack!

Enough! You clearly are ‘Naim or die’ and to continue is pointless. Back on topic.

Two surprises LP12 related:

• if you remove the Ittok arm rest sound improves on playback (but a bit of a hassle)
  • the red Collaro mat works much better than the standard black felt mat

For me the Qutest replaced a Rega Dac r. I liked the Rega for its analogue sound but I have always hankered after something more revealing. What I have found is that the Qutest is both revealing, analogue and spacious. I also like the warm filter. I’m happy.

2 Likes

Got it in one! Dratted pads on phone smaller than fingers!

Almost 26 years ago I went in to work one morning. I was working at the local Naim retailer. I ended up meeting my future wife. That was a nice surprise!

24 Likes

Perhaps you are among those, several apparently, who prefer to listen to details instead of music?

Perhaps some people like to listen to music that is detailed. You don’t?

1 Like

Of course, but I am not searching the last details in the music. Naim source are not the most resolving, but have musicality that Chord , for me, lacks.

Anyone fancy a pint?

11 Likes

The Qutest feeds a Nait 2. Not a lot more musical than that.

I’ll get my coat. I’m out of here.

1 Like

Tastes, tastes, opinions…

2 Likes

Indeed. I didn’t hear the Qutest choice as a case of “either/or” (music vs detail) but a case of “and/both”

2 Likes