What will adding a Ndac to an ND5XS2 bring

Spotted one recently with DNA Audio

Good luck
R

Thanks, tried them ,was all set to do the deal but got sidetracked by a family emergency and ended up missing itā˜¹ļø, hopefully better luck next time.

Ah, okay. Sorry to read that.
Iā€™ll keep a look out, just in case.

Good luck
R

Cheers, would appreciate that immensely :wink:

I see one for auction at 900 euros.

1 Like

Iā€™m hoping that the new 333 will lead to one being traded into my local dealer. Iā€™m guessing naim will have done their best to make the 333/300 outclass a lot of alternatives so itā€™s at least a possibility.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s an intriguing possibility

1 Like

I went through this process. The ND5 XS2 is quite good on its own, adding the nDAC was better. From there I added an XPS and eventually a 555PS (non-DR). Every step was an improvement, especially adding the 555. Cables used were DC1, Chord Music, and powerlines on all boxes.

However, I replaced all of that with a Lejonklou Kalla and couldnā€™t be happier. It lacks the ability to be used as an external DAC, but a great one box solution. Just my opinion (and this is all subjective), but the Kalla is the best digital Iā€™ve heard. Cables were Linn silvers and stock $40 Lejonklou power cord.

3 Likes

In what system?

Please show photos.

The system at that time was a NAC552 with 250DRā€™s in active configuration driving 1990 vintage Isobariks, with a Supercap DR on the SNAXO.

The 552 and 250ā€™s were replaced by Lejonklou Sagatun mono preamps and Lejonklou Tundra 2.2 (now Tundra 3 monos) amps, with Exposure VXN crossover. The Isobariks stayed. The 552 setup was preceded by olive 52/250ā€™s/SNAXO w/ Supercap. Iā€™m a Naim fanboy, but there is something special about what Fredrik Lejonklou is making.

The Kalla appeared after I switched to the Sagatun and Tundra.

1 Like

I would encourage the use/experimentation of external DACs with the ND5XS2. I was able to make an easily audible improvement with my DAC. I use the Questyle Master: Questyle CMA 12 - Questyle CMA Twelve - Desktop DAC/Amplifier HiFi

2 Likes

My local dealer has suggested trying a Chord Qutest as a possible option, exspecially as the Ndac are getting harder to track down, obviously the word is out.

2 Likes

Last week I have added a nDAC (which I was previously using with my bluesound Node 2i) to my recently acquired ND5XS2.

My first and immediate impression was: wow thereā€™s a lot more nuance.

It sounded a lot more relaxed when compared to the bare nd5xs2, with softer edges. It was less ā€œnervousā€.

Now i feel it just sounds more analog, darker. Thereā€™s maybe a bit less sparkle on the highs but in a pleasant way. It sounds less ā€œforcedā€ than the bare ND5XS2, there is more nuance/delicacy.
There is also a more ā€œrealā€ feel of instruments, and much better timbre.

There is absolutely no listening fatigue, I could listen to the ND5XS2/nDAC combo for hours, whereas I could sometimes feel a bit tired of all the enjoyment coming through the bare ND5XS2. It maybe is less fun to listen to on some recordings (pop, funk), but more introspective, more insightful. Iā€™d say that the nDAC offers, overall, a more mature presentation. It matches my Sonus Fabers superbly.

Has anyone have had a similar experience when adding the nDAC to a ND5XS2?

13 Likes

Well said @GlenJ. Your descriptions fall in line with what I remember when I added a nDAC to my ND5XS2. IIRC when I listening to the Commodores Brick house it was the first time I thought the drums sounded right. Something very special the nDAC brings.

3 Likes

Many thanks for the comprehensive reply, I have heard very similar comments when researching the forum, sounds like it would be a very nice addition to my system.

Can I ask how you and others have connected the ndac to the nd5xs2, I see mention of BNC quiet a lot, its a connection I have never used before, so wondering which method most people recommend.

I currently use an Audioquest Carbon RCA cable using the BNC>RCA adaptor supplied with the ND5XS2. Iā€™ll consider the DC1 cable, but Iā€™m very happy with the Carbon for now.

1 Like

Many thanks GlenJ I will have to check my nd5xs2ā€™s packaging, donā€™t remember seeing any cable adaptors in there but I could be mistaken.

I compared (ND5XS2 to) nDAC vs Qutest in my system and the bare DAC won clearly for me.

With Qutest you lose the Naim sound.

I use a DC1 and 555DR.

4 Likes

It should be supplied. I received my ND5XS2 without one and kindly asked my dealer to send me the adaptor.

Had a quick look in the packaging guessing this is the beast, would I be correct in thinking the adapter goes in the digital out on the back of the Nd5xs2?

2 Likes