What would you do next?

Given that a year ago, the Neats were probably twice the price of the B&Ws…

The cost of cables is a thorny question, generally allow 15-20% for stands and cables. They do make a difference

1 Like

Sound advice… I’ve certainly noticed a big collective improvement with the Hi-Line, Catsnake 6a, Cisco 2960 and now TQ Silver II.

Read any of the online reviews of the 25.22 and they all talk about how good the detail and imaging are and I certainly wouldn’t disagree. For me the two things that really stand out are the timing and the bass. I’m constantly amazed at how low the bass can go for their size of them yet it is always taut and in control. Buying these speakers was one of the easiest hi-fi buying decisions I ever made, I absolutely love them. I paid £2550 for mine, £1800 is a steal

2 Likes

Yeah, good price. I’ve seen a couple of other places as well now at a little less. Even so, with new cables etc still burning in I think I’ll be waiting till I can demo speakers… it will also give more time for everything else to bed in… which will make it easier to assess whether the new speakers fit the space/setup!

The big danger with speakers of course is whether or not they are run in when you demo them. The speakers I demoed were already run in and sounded really nice. When I got my own pair which were brand new out of the box, they sounded good but nowhere near as good as the ones I demoed. My dealer said they needed a good 100+ hours on them to loosen up and perform at their best and he was right. Had I demoed a pair straight from the box I might never have bought them. But now I’ve had them for a while I’m definitely glad I did buy them.

1 Like

Well…after trawling around I think if I were to listen to any new speakers, these three would be high up on the list…

ATC SCM19
ProAc Response D2
PMC TWENTY5 22

Any opinions on each would be great… already know of the PMC, which seem a good option but The ATC and ProAc options also seem to be good… anything to be concerned about or watch out for?

Cheers

Could you cope with the ATC with the grilles on?

It reminds me of something… can’t think what! I doubt I’d use them… took a little while to get used to the tweeter on top of the cm6s2… but I do love the piano black finish!

I had a pair of the ProAc D2’s and they would be a great fit with your ND5 XS2 > HiCap DR > SN 2 system. I ran a ND5 XS > NAIT XS2 with the D2’s and they were fabulous. I currently run the ProAc D30RS with my SN2 so a little biased to the ProAc sound.

I have also heard the ATC 19’s and believe they are a good fit with the SN2

I have not heard the PMC Twenty5 22 so will not comment.

Need to hear in your room on your system with your ears to make the right decision.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

1 Like

Ribbon ProAcs are lovely but certainly not for everyone. I was so close at one point to buying the D30Rs but didn’t in the end.
Maybe it was just me and the music that I listen too but the ribbon tweeter could get out of its depth occasionally and become quite tiring.
Truly amazing with acoustic vocals tho in my opinion.

I was looking at the D2r version but I decided against it on the basis that during the day when listening to music while working, I’m sat just outside the listening triangle and felt the dome tweeter would probably be the better option overall. I do listen to a lot of acoustic vocals though… but just as easily deep house, electronic, classical and folk so maybe the dome would still be the better option.

The nice thing is you can still order models with the dome or ribbon. Although the dealer may not carry both models for demonstration. I had my speakers at home for 10 days before I decided to keep them. I had listened to a lot of music and my wife joined me for periods of time and she like the sound of the D30RS as well which is always easier when both parties living in the household agree on the purchase.

The only right decision is the one you are happy with and brings you joy. Good luck!

2 Likes

I was a little taken aback when the dealer handed me the grilles for his demo set of SCM 40s, but now that I own a pair I can say that I use them, they are incredibly Effective at protecting the cones and have no discernible effect on the Sound.

My choice would be source first, put as much fund as you can on a good DAC.

Your SN2 - HC-DR - B&W CM6 S2 should be good for a long time, given your room environment.

1 Like

I don’t doubt for a minute that’s the case. They’re just bloomin ugly, IMHO of course

1 Like

You get used to them. :slight_smile:

And they are dead easy to remove being just a magnetic fixing.

I was astonished at how easy it was to remove the grilles on my dealer’s pair. A cat or an inquisitive toddler would have no trouble removing them at all.

Same as the PMCs then, they’re just held on with a magnet too

Fortunately my stands are so tall, they are well out of reach of grandchildren. And no cats. Phew!

My Kudos grilles are held on by magnets too, but it takes a fair old tug to get them off. I reckon if you stood next to my dealers SCM40s and farted they would probably fall off.