What's the best-sounding system you've ever heard?

Well although I’ve heard active DBLs on the end of a 52 with six pack of 135s, it was loud more than impressive. Plus I was in a bad mood. I didn’t get on very well with one of the Naim reps and had worked hard all day helping set it up so I may have been biased. We then added active SBLs as rears and brought out the new Naim AV1. Pretty sure everyone was just deaf after that.

What really blew me away was mid 90s Karik, Numerik, Kairn into 4 pack of Klouts driving Aktiv Keltiks.

Most impressively bizarre was a 5.1 surround system comprised of 5 Quad ESL 63s and a M&K sub. Totally bonkers.

1 Like

I was about to say the same. I got about 10 hours of listening yesterday and the final hours were heavenly. I didn’t want to stop but eventually had to go to bed.

1 Like

Did the beer and wine affect the sound?

1 Like

Ha ha, next time your in Christchurch and if you like I’ll show you a 500 system that will knock you for a 6.
Has a 555PS for the nds now. Atlas cart on the Graham’s.

6 Likes

Not knowingly! But alcohol was in the evening, and not really listening to the music then.

Heard that one too, was sharing a flat nearby on the Gloucester Road

Naim factory tour by JV himself. 6 pack DBLs playing this

2 Likes
  1. funktion one/bryston and others at Plastic People club in London. PA levels and high end quality!
  2. from my own home I have a strange feeling that nait 5i-2 was the best sounding amp which gave me real excitement. Than nac172/nap155xs - I remeber the sound as warm and super nice but still charging. I think that both systems were on my back then owned amphion 3L speakers.
  3. Current uniti star is super cool and sounds impressive but somehow I never got that special something> currently I’m on ProAc 148. And my uniti is currently away cause its line-in stopped working :frowning:

Had many an amazing demo in that big room. I remember fondly a demo of 250 vs 135s with my own LP12/Ittok/Asak ‘T’, their 32/Snaps and Kans. Those Kans sounded like Isobarks on the 135s in that room😀

3 Likes

@MDS CD555/500/Focal based system is excellent. Mike has his kit singing.

A friend round the corner from @MDS has a Tangerined LP12 with older Naim amps. With the music he loves that system is captivating.

Another friend has a Garrard 401, Audio Note arm and cartridge into YBA amps and large JBL speakers. Great fun, especially with the music he loves.

Finally, for this round, another friend has Audio Note CD or dCS NB into Audio Note 4.1 Balanced, these can be fed into one set of his amps which include Pass, Audio Research, Allnic or 211s, and then into Audio Note J speakers.

These guys all love their music and have paid a lot of attention to getting things just right. I have heard FAR more expensive systems, but in compromised situations, such as dealerships.

Next week I am off Guildford Audio to listen to their new listening room with the full dCS Vivaldi stack into Audio Research or D’Agostino amps and Wilson speakers …should be interesting. Fortunately it is all SOOOO expensive it won’t present me with any room to be tempted!

3 Likes

A bit of a recurring theme here, but…
1980s (I think)
NAIM demonstration
DBLs + a tower of 135s
NAIM’s first CD player, cannot remember the pre or PS
…absolutely effortless dynamics + palpable presence.
Of course, I do not know how this would stack up today

1 Like

In my case that must have been the Statement system that Naim had present at the last Munich High End show. With ND555 and all the bells and whistles. With some ‘minor’ room treatment in a ‘card board’ room it sounded terrific. I took some pictures. :yum:

2 Likes

Yes indeed, new doesn’t necessarily mean better.

Hi afgverhart

Do you know what the small kettle like things are next to the speakers? Cheers

I don’t recall exactly, but many vendors had uplights in their rooms to make things even more beautiful. Probably these are lights as well and not even audio related.

1 Like

Of course they look like uplighter things, duh on me

1 Like

It could also be a magical power conditioner that is still in testing phase, which is why the system sounded so magical. :joy:

The Bristol Sound & Vision Show 2004.

They are what control the EM feature of those large bass drivers.

Impressed you could hear it from there. :slight_smile: