What's the best-sounding system you've ever heard?

I’m very much a novice at listening to systems, but I was gobsmacked how good my newly upgraded LP12 sounded with Titans… and no need for a sub !l

2 Likes

Best-sounding? Probably the full Statement system with huge Focal speakers in the big room, I heard at the Acoustica Show last year.

Most musical? My own system that I’m listening to as I type this. Most enjoyable, too.

Roger

ND555,Statement,Grand Utopia…at Naim…
SL700se,Krell KSA50, LP12 in late 80s Penta
Linn Kan, 32.5,250,LP12 Penta …

Oops! I was in Norfolk a couple of weeks ago and I’m going again in a few weeks, so I have Norfolk on the brain LOL

1 Like

Norfolk, Suffolk same thing isn’t it?

1 Like

East Anglia

1 Like

In as much as it is ‘flat earth’ :wink: ATB Peter

1 Like

Same here, the Statement, NDS plus PS555 x 2 and Focal speakers. It was tour here a few years back.

1 Like

Signals and Naim got together and we got to compare nd555 (i think with 2 555 psu), S1 and active 500,s into Kudos 808 speakers, versus a Statement system with the Kudos 808. They both sounded superb, i could happily live with either.

1 Like

I heard a few high-end and highly expensive system, my preference goes to :

• The closest to live experience :
    Soulution 760 DAC
    Soulution 701 mono blocs
    Magico Q7
    Unfortunately some room interactions diminished its performance.
    Even so, it was amazing!
    (Zurich - Switzerland)

• The more detailed and airy system :
    Soulution 760 DAC
    Soulution 711 setreo amp
    Magico M2
    Enormous room - slightly treated
    (Zurich - Switzerland)

• My own system :wink::
    –> https://community.naimaudio.com/u/Thomas/summary

At the Bristol show, I was walking along a corridor and thought “wow, that cello sounds incredible”. Walked around a corner and there was a cellist playing his instrument.

22 Likes

They are the energisers that some of the big Focals use. The contain a PSU that puts a current through the coils of the big drivers to make them easier to drive.

2 Likes

I had the good fortune to visit Grahams HIFI when they had the B&W Nautilus Snails being driven by 4x NAP500’s in their foyer. Roughly 8 years ago IIRC. Source was the top of the range Linn Streamer of the day. Playing a live Eagles album. Truly front row seats - amazing. This system sticks in the memory far better than NDS/Statement/Grand U’s i heard at KJ West one which was impressive but the music played wasnt especially engaging to me and I just didnt warm to the presentation of the speakers.

A full Nagra HD system into nice Rockport speakers sounded quite amazing.

Full Spectral system, dCS streamer, into big Magicos also quite amazing.

Statement/NDSx2 555PS into some big audiophile hi-end SONY speakers also sounded amazing. I have no idea what the speakers were; I can’t find reference to them online. They were big, quite expensive, and by Sony!?!?!

1 Like

Where was that Sony speakers demo?

Goodwin’s here in the Boston area. I swear they were Sony speakers!

Hi Thomas, just checked the Soulution range out, OMG they are expensive :face_with_hand_over_mouth: How do you feel what you heard compared to the 552/500 out of curiosity? ATB Peter

Yes Soulution gear is extremely expensive. Unfortunately.

It sounds amazing, so airy and detailed. It is also extremely fast! The stereo image is really deep and layered. I love it.

The 500 series is also brilliant, it has the same qualities but less pronounced.

Better with Soulution :

• stereo image
  • airiness
  • details
  • separation
  • the highs

Better with Naim 500 series

• grip on the low end
  • fuller sound

I never heard the Naim Statement. It’s not really fair to compare the 500 DR to Soulution 701 monoblocks.

Also the Soulution 760 DAC is really something… one needs to hear it to understand.

What I found also is that Magico speakers blend so well with Naim. It’s a shame they are so expensive.

My perfect 2 boxes system would be :

• Soulution 711
  • Soulution 760 DAC
    (analog preamp is no longer needed when the DAC is upgraded with LEEDH processing )
  • Magico M2 speakers
1 Like

Best hifi I heard??

Before the tinnitus set in bad…

2 Likes

SS-AR1 Perhaps? Massive floorstanders. About $18k (each) outside of Japan.