What's the best-sounding system you've ever heard?

I smell a rat…

I can guess which country you’re in, having met a dealer who told me of the same ability to DR Olive and, modification to Naim equipment as was the case for an Australia customer with active Statements. :wink:

Well Hugh’s profile says ‘GP in Wellington, NZ’, so it’s not that hard to guess which country he lives in!

I didn’t look at his profile!

At one of those Heathrow shows in the early noughties, a Rega P25 with a DV10x4 (though it might have been a 10x5), 47 Labs phono stage and amplification and speakers that I don’t know. I think they were horns but they were flat like electrostatics. I have a vague memory of David Price reviewing them in Hi-Fi World. They were possibly German. They were quite expensive by my standards. I found it totally engaging. They were playing Rockin’ Jimmy Crimmins whom I’d never heard of.

There was also a 47 Labs CD player where IIRC the CD was totally exposed.

Not only it did it all look good, the whole lot together sounded great.

1 Like

Konus Audio Essence speakers?

Blimey! How did you do that?!

Thanks. I’ve looked at the pics online and they look very similar.

Best I’ve heard tough one probably my Nait 2 into Allaes.

The Nait has real soul.

1 Like

So your 2nd system is your first system!

At the moment Jim and I’m enjoying it too, the freshly serviced Nait 2 is excellent.

The 272/555/300/SL2s are still in their boxes after the house move until we decorate the listening room.

1 Like

The first time I saw the Bauer dps was in a picture of a show system featuring 47 Labs electronics and Konus speakers :grinning:

3 Likes

early 2 box cambridge audio cd player
pink triangle pip pre amp
2 pairs of albarry power amps
into a massive pair of proac floorstanders

• brilliant!

Thank you. But did you hear it too?

No, unfortunately not. I would have loved to, but as far as I know they were never shown at one of the smaller shows in Germany. High-End in Munich is to much of a circus for me.

1 Like

ND555, Statement, B&W 802s (800s had yet to be released). Grahams Hi-Fi, London.

I still have some (rear speaker) cable I bought down Tottenham Court Road. Used to visit every time I was in London but I was sad to see they have pretty well all closed now.

1 Like

Odd, because I thought the B&W 800 was released about 2 years before the ND555…

And more, the original 800Ds were released way back in 2007 or 2008 I think, around the date of my 804S.

Supernait2+ NDX2+ Harbeth 40.2, not so expencive system but synergy is amazing.

3 Likes

@Bart :

Vinyl into Boulder (Phono, Pre, Power) into ProAc K8 via Chord Music is at the top in my experience.

sc

1 Like