What's the going price for a Nac 52?

I’m thinking about buying a Nac 52 and just wondering what forum member’s think would be a reasonable price.

1 Like

They seem to go for 3-3.5k (with Supercap) on the auction site.

I paid in that region earlier this year (from a second hand equipment dealer) and then had to add a bit more for a service.

It’s probably worth trying to get a later one.

I would certainly buy one again. Just a shame that it wasn’t sold in CB design!

1 Like

Yorkshireman

Couple of pointers

Look for an earlier one with the 52PS rather than the Supercap
Try to get one with the Pots 8 upgrade
If it has phono boards take them out as they drain power regardless of if in use
Look for black Burndy
Avoid the original remote control
Budget for a service around £500 - Darren.

Lyndon

2 Likes

Most advice I’ve read say go for a later one with the flat remote sensor, would you still say look for an earlier one even if you could get a later one with a 52 PS.

Isn’t an Olive Supercap a better PS for the 52?

The 52PS is much better
The downside is it doesn’t have the versatility as it can only be used with the 52
That in itself was never an issue for me

Lyndon

2 Likes

I’ve never known Naim to down grade a product.

I would say be very careful when buying a 52, i had at the time a late 82 and the first early 52 i had sounded very dull, so i sent it back.
Try and get one with the newer design boards in it and 100% pots 8.
Also one thats been serviced, hopefully by naim.
52ps or supercap, once again as long as its been serviced all should be well.
I sold my 52 this year for £2500 (no power supply).
These are old now and finding one in great condition and sounding as it should, can be a minefield, but once you find one, your be happy and the only way forward from it is the 552.

2 Likes

£2-2.5k depending on age, condition and date of last service.

2 Likes

Mine is an early one. It replaced a 282 (and a selection of shoebox pre-amps: 12/32/62/72)).

I thought it sounded better than the other pre-amps, but after I had it serviced (including the POTS-8) I didn’t have any doubt. I don’t think I’m likely to change this now (at least not through choice)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.