What's the Point of this Forum?

What’s the point of this thread?

Sorry that as a joke. I’ll get my coat!

1 Like

Happily, yes!

The title is not good I think. The OP essentially said what were all the benefits of the forum when he subscribed to it.

That’s genuinely interesting.

1 - I have explored music recommended on here but, and obviously this is maybe just me, I have tended to find that the recommends I enjoy the most are things I have somehow missed, recommended by people with whom I already have overlapping tastes.

Interestingly there are several posters who write at length and informatively about areas of music I already love. I listen when they recommend artists or albums within that genre with which I’m not familiar and… I’ve almost always been disappointed.

2 - I went through that whole phase of “oh, so I need to do this”. Brought in expert help. Still couldn’t here a difference. Indeed it’s one of the reasons I’ve abandoned a Naim source.

3 - My upper limit was about £1,000 per box when I first came here and was then £3,000 for many years. Absolutely a win for Naim. Had the NDX2 delivered what I had hoped then I would absolutely have stretched further for the first time. It didn’t, but I redefined my limit with products from other manufacturers.

Interestingly part of my perception on appropriate spending was shaped by the NDX2, which struck me as poor value. I’m sure lots will disagree but none of us have identical ears or need a screen.

I definitely don’t need a screen at all and my ears are rubbish, but the NDX2 sounded a lot better than the ND5 XS2 to me when I heard them in the Naim demo room at the factory when they were first announced. (But the NDX2 with a 555PS DR sounded better still, as again better still did the ND555……)

1 Like

With the music it’s definitely a broadening of my tastes.

I started with a fairly typical late eighties sixth form student’s taste of US style semi-indie rock: REM, U2, Springsteen. That has definitely expanded.

Sigur Ros and Godspeed You! Black Emperor are two examples that come to mind. Maybe not the biggest leap but a step away from where I started.

I loved my CDX2 for 20 years and would quite happily have another Naim source if it worked for me. I have sat through Naim demos and dealer demos and clearly heard improvement after improvement but the telling thing for me was that on both occasions the family auditioned the NDX2 with a selection of familiar music we ended up drifting into conversation. If it doesn’t engage then it doesn’t engage.

Anyway, apologies. Off topic really.

The biggest value of this forum is for the exchange about what like minded people listening to as music.
Before the forum has been an orientation for me on the road of upgrading.

I have now thank you Richard.

The point of this forum is to have somewhere that anyone can ask “What’s the point of this forum?” and receive a multitude of replies!

1 Like
  1. Discovering new music

2. Finding answers to some technical questions

3. Good jokes

4. Willy waving

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.