What's your favourite Marmalade

Several “original” jars out there. Some perhaps more original than others.
Paddington bear always kept a Marmalade sandwich under his hat.
I have mostly been drawn to Frank Coopers course cut. Then Wilkinsons.
Never forget me mums Seville orange homemade ones that where just out of this world - of course.
Any others worth a mention from other Marmalade lovers

1 Like

Padded Cell has never been more appropriate a name.

Frank Cooper,s but the fine cut.:sunglasses:
And of course on thick toast with real butter.

3 Likes

Neil, just wait and see what we will be like in 6 months.

1 Like

Roses Lime, perfect with peanut butter

3 Likes

If buying I would look for high fruit, no colour or preservative (acidity regulator OK), and I like some peel texture it - medium to thick cut best. But mostly we buy those large cans (maybe 1kg or so) of seville oranges, or if they’re not available the prepared seville oranges, and make our own - cheaper, as good as the best and much tastier than many.

2 Likes

Another vote for Frank Cooper’s, the thicker the better. We made our own recently - very thick cut and too moreish!

1 Like

Beacon village’s Methodist church fête, home made marmalade courtesy of 85 yr old Gloria. Best I’ve ever tasted, and I’ve tried a few over the years. Hoping my wife can persuade her to part with the recipe!

1 Like

Sicilian Blood Orange Marmalade from Morrisons … just full of orangey yummy goodness. :yum:

They also do this Seville Orange one too, which I haven’t tried yet, but I’ll get round to it.

4 Likes

Our favorite, now, is the Marmalade we make from the can of concentrated Valencia oranges, from MaMade. It makes 9 x 250 ml jars of excellent marmalade. To better it, we’d have to buy some of the small batch ones that you have listed above.
We can also add a few of our own ingredients if we choose, such as ginger or the like.
In Canada here, there’s not as much choice, so we have had a hard time finding a good Marmalade. But the MaMade has been very good. My buddy from Manchester is very used to a good Marmalade, and this is what he uses now as well.

1 Like

Tiptree’s finest for me.
The thick-cut ‘Tawny’ has the best intensity of taste, though it could be a bit too chunky for some perhaps…
… in which case, ‘Old Times’ is a more spreadable, still very tasty alternative.

4 Likes

Another vote for FC - coarse cut or our, humm,
‘ome made plum jam.:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Snap!

2 Likes

Overall, the end product is very good. But the specialty marmalades that everyone here is posting, are making me drool …

The “real” is superfluous, surely. Anything that isn’t butter is, just that, not butter. And pointless. It must be salted butter. Unsalted is also pointless, except for baking.

The marmalade that my mother used to make - very dark, thick cut, not too sweet. When it was available, Keillers Dundee Marmalade (back in the days when it was in stoneware pots) was excellent. Now, Frank Coopers, probably.

2 Likes

A good seville orange marmalade or 3-fruit marmalade from Mackays is the stable option for me.

Main thing I look for is ‘sugar’, rather than glucose-fructose syrup in the ingredients. Glucose-fructose syrup is just such a cheap/cost cutting/lazy food ingredient.

2 Likes

The orange marmalade my partner made for me as a birthday present. It lovely and have two massive jars that will last me a long time. Don’t use it everyday.

1 Like

Of course, there’s always a coffee marmalade old fashioned whisky cocktail…

3 Likes

Recipe please!!