When is a CD 'faulty'?

Given that this is a compilation that has a very wide range of performers and writers, I would suspect that there is some sort of copy protection on some tracks. Either tracks have been taken from another album which had some sort of DRM, or an individual performer has had it applied.
Different rippers seem to vary in their ability to get around DRM. In the past I’ve found iTunes to be the most successful.

I’ve had similar problems, often with discs bought in specials from stores that did multi buys at reduced prices. They would quite happily play in the car, or a boom box but not in hifi equipment. I cannot recall how it came about it, I copied the recalcitrant disc using Windows media player. The copy ripped!
As above I had been using a £20ish external drive. Since buying a Buffalo Bluray drive I have had no problems.

I did buy the Blue Nile cd “High” from musicmagpie that would not rip on my Core. A bit of searching found some were released with copy protection. To be fair musicmagpie refunded me immediately as it was not cd red book.

Whilst it is a compilations of sorts, it’s only Rod Stewart and various incarnations of his ‘backing’ band. There could be copy protection but I doubt it would vary across the tracks.
I did rip in iTunes too - I actually do both (FLAC for the NAS, ALAC for the iPods in the cars). iTunes seemed to struggle just as much. It took a long time but did get there in the end. I did have a quick listen to one of the tracks from iTunes; there wasn’t any obvious problems with the rip but it wasn’t really a critical listen.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.