When vinyls invite themselves

Rather than 45s, I always use the word “singles” - that’s was how I have always referred to them.
Similarly a 12" single is always a single, whether it’s a 33 or 45rpm one.
I use “LPs” or “albums” interchangeably, whether a 33 or more rare 45.

1 Like

I heard most and used some of these: LP, records, etc. But I have to say the “side 2 track 3” is very nice mixture of références for records. It will be a keeper for me now. :wink:

Over here, blame it on slang and/or French, the term “vinyle” is commonly used in a French sentence like (free translation ) “I’m going to buy a few vinyles today then play them”.

That being said, I’m now the very happy owner of a sexy white P3. I’m SO HAPPY. :slight_smile:

But the painfull part is, I want to let my daughter have her Christmas TT before. She will be very proud to own an audio equipment that his father don’t have yet. I’ll let her enjoy that moment for a week or so. Time for her to start discovering this new world. Then it will be time for my gift to myself. :wink:

Can’t wait to see how she dive in or not, with time. Flipping songs before they even finish on Spotify and play “vinyles” is a totally different kind of listening. I hope she will slowly develop the taste for it too. She really like music, there is hope. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Lovely turntable. That should bring a lot of pleasure listening to “vinyles”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

:wink:
Thanks !

Vinyl’s might work, for those struggling with the neologism, with the apostrophe replacing “record” Then you’ve only got a missing apostrophe to get to vinyls. Unless you find its a greater sin.

1 Like

“Vinyl” is still rather weird and awkward to me. Growing up collecting records, the term just wasn’t even in the hifi lexicon. Nobody said “vinyl,” ever. That’s come about only in the last couple decades or so.

I think we should just go back to calling them “records.” There seems to be little ambiguity when used in context.

2 Likes

The singular “vinyl” was common enough as a metonym for records as a medium, especially when new records became scarce after the late 90s e.g. “I love X but none of their stuff is available on vinyl.” Now the plural, used for actual records, is everywhere - I even heard my MiL use it - but I’ve no idea how or where it started.

I hate the phrase ‘coding’ and far prefer ‘programming’.

1 Like

Oh, I so agree.
I was a “Programmer” not a “Coder”.
“Coder” just conjurers images of young “Video Game” authors in their loose and open coffee shop style work places. Not my thing at all. :rofl:

1 Like

Haha! You described where I do half my work.

But I’ve never once used “coder” in my life.

2 Likes

I can imagine.
Japan is very progressive in work place dynamics I guess🤷🏻‍♂️

Thanks for the reminder, Blythe , I did that, too.

1 Like

Also, MROX, don’t forget to show her how to hold a record, mainly the larger 12" ones. That’s either both hands, one at each side, or with one hand with three fingers on the label and the thumb on the edge. The aim is to keep fingerprints away from the grooves.
Happy listening.

1 Like

Bahahaha. Ohhhh dear. I’ve done the whole work for a Japanese company and chained to a (very small) desk for 18 hours a day. Ended up in hospital. That was 16+ years ago. Never again.

2 Likes

I don’t think the term ‘coder’ bothers me. I don’t use it myself, but I have on ocassion used ‘coding’ to describe writing source code. I don’t generally use ‘programminmg’ either, and prefer to say I am ‘developing’ something. I’ve been a software engineer for decades, and my work isn’t just 'programming. ’ It encompasses quite a lot more, including design, implementation (coding), testing, dev-ops, support, documentation, training, leadership, etc. If I refer to writing code specifically I usually say I’m ‘implementing,’ for example, “I’m implementating the solution to fix github issue #xxx

If people ask what I do I say I’m a software engineer (and that’s part of my work title).

2 Likes

Very sensible description.
When people asked me what I did (now retired), the answer was always Design Systems Engineer. Those three words described the role, what I actually did would take a lot more words :joy:
Developing Software etc was obviously a big part of it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.