Where are you backing up your music files?

Me too…When my Mac eventually gives up the ghost, I will definitely get another Mac. I will try and re use it’s internal SSD. Or, do you think I won’t be able to completely delete it’s contents, and the music files could become corrupted?

Playback from ssd in nucleus
local copies on a house nas and an external hd of a mac
External hd backed up in cloud via backblaze running on the mac with one year retention so should be safe from accidental deletes hopefully.

1 Like

Thanks @Deeg

I would always recommend at least 2 backups. A life in IT taught me that while 1 backup is better than none, backups can fail and you dont find out until it’s too late. Lots of people will have this by default now anyway with copies held on NAS drives, PC’s, or memory sticks in their car.

Cloud backup is an option, but can be expensive. Also if the are “always on”, then if you screw up a file, it is immediately screwed up on your Cloud backup. So if option available, just back every week or so.

Even better is to have a second backup in a different location in case of fire/theft. For example, I always copy my photos to my Mums PC every now and then.

Synology NAS backup to Google cloud.

It’s built into NAS and took about 30 seconds to setup. Any music I copy to NAS goes to cloud overnight.

Benefit of this is in the gym, or anywhere else away from home, I can access entire music collection on phone too.

Yes, similar to my thoughts too. Although I will also investigate the latest compatible SSD drives for when I buy a new Mini as I think my 2012 Mini Samsung SSD is an older EVO 840, and think they are now on the EVO 860? Perhaps use the old drive in an enclosure as another portable back up for the media folder alone, but more than likely I’ll sell it on with Mini. Not sure yet!

Good point @GadgetMan :+1:

@IainO That sounds cool :+1:

1 Like

That depends on the nature of the service, some offer retention rather than plain old mirroring. This permits change roll back/restoration to backups within the retention window as per Timemachine on a mac.

1 Like

Timemachine is great!

My IT training involved the mantra that nothing existed in the digital world without at least 3 copies.

I am of course currently backing up to only 2 portable HDDs but will soon add a 3rd more expensive option of a portable SSD. Absolutely wouldn’t use cloud storage in this scenario no matter how cheap.

1 Like

My music is on a usb HDD connected to my Room Core machine. This is backed up to my NAS everynight automatically, then the NAS is backed up to OneDrive once a week and I also run a one touch copy to a usb disk from the NAS as a 3rd copy that I keep in a draw.

1 Like

Yep… one on main NAS (currently a NUC). Then backup to QNAP. Then backup to work on a USB HD on my office PC.

However, sometimes even that’s not enough. Many, many, years ago I deleted a years company accounts from the office PC. Then discovered that BOTH backups were unreadable :frowning: Ended up paying the accountant a grand for him to have a couple of juniors to type the whole lot back in from the raw paper…

2 Likes

Not sure I understand those who back up daily. Is that because of inadequate software dictates or something else? I don’t buy music daily. I can’t see the need to refresh my back ups other than when I do.

When I was ripping CDs I would do 2 backups daily as I was adding 30 to 50 a day. Since then I’ve settled into a monthly pattern of an evening with the last I’ve compiled throughout the month and I buy from Bandcamp, 7Digital et al; move to the server/streamer and then backup twice again and…that’s it until the following month.

My backups happen automatically in the background. However the backups only do changed/new files. Because it’s done daily without me thinking about then any day I make a change, be that new music or just tweaking some meta tags, I don’t have to remember to trot off and backup the changes. Having it happen daily doesn’t do any harm… however it’s good to have delays between each backup process in case you discover you made a cobblers before that c**k-up is copied across!

1 Like

Yes I can see the need for backups post meta data changes. Off to do a backup now given that I finally fixed my remaining 55 “No Genre” albums last night :slight_smile:

Automatic daily backup from Synology to a hard drive and a realtime cloud backup. As I add things to the Synology on random days I prefer that it remembers to backup rather than me.

Dropbox for main library and Roon database.

I often have blitzes like that… MM4 has lots of tools to look up things like Genre/Lyrics/&c. Sometimes I’ll get it to have a go on a whole bunch of albums. I don’t do too many at a time since I can often end up with several gigs of data that end up having to be synced to my backup at work so the home internet ends clogged up for hours on end (upload speed is the problem here).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.