Where do Tidal get their music from?

Listening to this album in standard 16/44 FLAC, and I can clearly hear the sound of a stylus hitting the groove and running through it at the start of some tracks. At the start of track 4, I can also hear what I think is tape print-through, and there’s some weird, rather unpleasant low frequency stuff on track 5 and 6. Have they been buying cheap bootlegs in a market stall?

Guesswork mode here, but I suspect you’re looking at an album old enough to predate copyright protection, so consequently anybody can lash together a version of it from whatever source they fancy and put it up for sale and, it would appear, streaming.

Have a search on Amazon or the Qobuz download store for the myriad versions of “Kind Of Blue” on offer, a small fraction of which would have any direct connection with the master tape, I suspect.

Indeed, it’s certainly an old recording - David Oistrach died in 1974, and the only info Tidal give is a release date of 2013. Pretty shoddy to release something that had blatantly been made from an LP badly copied on a turntable.

I have found several needle-drops on Tidal including two volumes of the Klemperer complete Beethoven symphonies. Also, Gamba’s Rossini overtures.

Chris

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.