Where does the 272 lie in Naims hierarchy of amps?

If you do please post about how it works out.
Thanks
James

1 Like

You could try it with any analogue source.

Obviously in normal usage a 555PS provides an uplift for all 3 parts of a 272 (i.e. streamer, dac and preamp) vs using the 272’s own internal PS.

Using only the preamp section of the 272 (i.e. with an analogue source) the 272 in effect becomes a ‘separates’ preamp.

But as 2 parts of the hifi system change at the same time it’s hard to know what effect each change has.

1 Like

Guess close to 202

I ran a 272/XPSDR into a 250DR and thought was a great combo, not sure where it fits in the scheme of things as I haven’t heard all the pre amps. I do know had it not been for the new streamers I probably would still have it and be more than happy. It’s great pre amp.

1 Like

One need to be careful comparing 272 naked vs with XPSDR or 555PSDR. It’s a dramatic change in performance between these. FWIW I thought a naked 272 plus 250DR sounded better than Supernait 2 and 3. With the XPSDR it was like hitting a switch into a new sound scape and 555 took the performance even further. I have many times considered a move mainly due to the streamer being out of date and not due to performance. I chose to add a Lumin U1 Mini streamer that made a big improvement and added all support needed and stayed there and daily enjoy the wonderful sound it creates :blush:

2 Likes

At the same time I used the 272+555DR I also had a 52 and 252, mostly in the attic. The 52/252 are analog control centers and more complex. The preamp in the 272 is not and it also use a different circuit so it will always sound different and you will get very different opinions comparing it to the old separate preamp series. The price of a 272+555DR lands it in the region of a 252 with powersupply.

The 202 is discontinued so a 282 is really the only choice if you want a separate preamp for your 250. And it is not a bad choice. A 252 require a very expensive power supply.

Not sure what you mean with this if we look at just the preamp design? They are both analogue with 272 using a digital volume control and 252 not.

The volume control on the 272 is light years advanced compared to the normal pre amps. It’s easier to use and control and you use more of it. The volume control on the current pre amps is so last century and in my opinion their worst feature.

PS it’s good to finally see a thread based around the 272 it hadn’t been mentioned much before.

3 Likes

I agree. I love the volume control and integration of it with the app on 272.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more with @Pete_the_painter and @Blackbird. For me a new range of analogue pre-amps would have the user interface and volume control of the 272. The 272 with a PS is a way better pre-amp than many here want to admit!

6 Likes

Lots of opinions to choose from, here. All are valid - to those that have posted them.

How about the cheapest option…? Stick with your 272 and sit back for its replacement to arrive…?

[Your 272 is powered by an XPS…? Am I correct…? Your post suggests so, but your profile says not…?]

1 Like

Disappointed really that we are still having this discussion and people are trying to find work arounds for their 272s. Naim have dropped blatant hints that a 272 replacement was happening, but here we are still talking about it years later. I’ve ditched Naim completely and am unlikely to return but would likely have bought the 272 replacement as an end game.

There are many alternatives to the 272.

1 Like

Naim have hardly ever rushed anything. New products arrived when they do. There is not usually any fanfare. Launching a ‘bad’ 272 Mk2 would be a very silly thing to do.

Its just how Naim are. If you don’t like it, you are free to make your own choices.

Trying to be Agreeable

1 Like

I found the 272 preamp surprisingly capable - when powered with the 555ps, for example I had a Nap250dr and replaced it with the Nap500 for a while … the difference between the amps was immediately shown - and it was not subtle … the 272 preamp impressed me. I think to improve on it you are looking at the 282+ level. What did not impress me was the headphone amp which did not drive my HD800s very well, dynamics were not great…it was ok.
I think maybe the new streaming platform - and the integration on to one huge amazing mega board is a challenge. I saw the 272 board at the factory - and it is one complex sucker…tricky to manufacture…so time will tell - I hope Naim do a ‘372’…fingers crossed.

2 Likes

Yes lots of stuff jammed in there. I guess that’s why it respond so well pushing power supply out of it to XPS or 555.

nac-n272_inside

2 Likes

Didn’t Naim suggest that the 272 was at the level of the 202 cum ND5XS?

I had the same setup and if Naim had brought out a successor to the 272, I’d probably still be all Naim in my main system.

As to where the 272 sits in the hierarchy, this has been a controversial issue since the 272 appeared — there were threads on it on the old forum. FWIW like many others I thought Naim sprinkled some magic dust on that box and it performed far better than it really ought to. The setup I had previously was SuperNait based and I preferred the 272/XPS/250DR to both that and a 202/200. But I guess we all hear things differently so I’m not convinced there’s any meaningful consensus on this.

Roger

3 Likes

Did they? They certainly suggested pairing it with a 300 and I don’t think they did that with a 202.

I think the opportunity to use it with a XPS or 555 confuses the issue of where it sits in the Naim lineup.

Roger

They did!

Presumanbly, the 300DR was endorsed in the context of a significant PSU upgrade… But to my knowledge, they did not suggest any equivalents of the 272 cum PSU, either XPS or 555.

Woaah that rumor thread just created was removed fast. Guess there was something in it then :sunglasses:

1 Like