Where to buy HiRes CD's, not just the download

Yes, that was my point: files sold (presumably at a premium) as 192k which contained nothing that a 48k rendering wouldn’t have captured. For all practical purposes, false advertising.

Mark

It depends on the sample rate of the original recording.

There are many classic albums out there from extremely successful groups which seem to be unavailable in anything better than CD quality - were the masters destroyed? Are they simply happy with the CD quality/vinyl available previously? Do the record companies just see no ‘cash cow’ in releasing hi-res versions?

Just an observation but there are many older albums I’d probably buy in hi-res if available, but if not I’m generally content to stream or listen on vinyl.

Have to wonder how much of this hi-res stuff is really psychological and down to mastering differences.

What we seem to lack in many instances is transparent detail of the provenance of the hi-res recordings especially when it comes to older albums.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.