Where to call it good?

Yes there is, if it sounds good to your ears.
Anyway, others will form their own view of your post, so will leave it there…Good luck to the OP.

You’re implying that the better measuring ones don’t sound good, which is obviously unfounded in the case of the Node 2i. It’s objective performance is in the bottom 25% of all tested devices, and there will surely be plenty of better measuring ones that subjectively sound ‘good’ too.

But if you feel that your argumentation is sound, then that is fine with me.

2 Likes

Thanks Leggit. Time will tell if I get another try done, or if I simply go for one of the Naim streamer/DAC solutions.

Regards

You are now starting to compare 10K+ home DAC devices with a 1K device that is intended for studio use. The RME is an AD/DA that is actually used in studios, to record, mix and master albums…

The ADI-2 is intended to be neutral, and perhaps that is not your taste. It can however be tuned extensively where needed, to suit a specific environment.

The other DAC’s are also (pre-)tuned by their manufacturers but are not or limited in their adjustability, so you are stuck more with their initial tuning (which may or may not be to your liking).

Thanks for the reply, never heard of a Bluesound Node.

To be quite clear, the Airport is sending an optical signal to the DAC hence the integral DAC is bypassed.

The optical signal is then converted by whichever DAC I’m using & sent to the 5italic via RCA-DIN cabling.

The majority of media I send via the iPad Pro is all lossless files rendered from my CD collection; I do wander off into internet radio & even McIntosh Audio … an entertaining free application.

The NAT05 is cabled with a Roland Gold MIDI 1.5m cable which will have to do until I locate a genuine Naim DIN (local distributor wants $300!) to compare, although I seriously doubt there will be any difference.

The Roland is $25 btw…

Last, since a Supernait allows the use of another amp to supplement, I can bi~amp the MA speakers .

No scientific evidence showing better measurement of distortion of a 1 kHz test tone translates into better sounding dac. These people claim it’s evidence based science but can’t prove their approach is even valid. No measurements to examine performance in the time domain. It’s all based on a simplistic worldview.

The “objective audiophile” is a religion/cult. I once mentioned that I’d experienced burn in, I was previously a nonbeliever in burn in, on my new Bartok moving from the dealer’s Bartok. Thinking they were scientists my rare experience of moving to a new device from the same device I’d listened to for 100’s of hours would give them an idea how to somewhat objectively test a subjective experience. All Bartoks measure the same so a new Bartok should sound exactly the same as one with 1000 hours if it doesn’t then burn in might be real and something they aren’t measuring. It should be an easy experiment but these people generally can’t try things which challenge their core beliefs. The level of cognitive dissonance in this group reminds me of people I’ve know who were indoctrinated by real cults. It’s sad really. To claim “science” but reject “experiment” is a ridiculous existence.

3 Likes

Holy projection, Batman…

5 Likes

Well maybe if it sounds better.

Hi Dave, i think people sometimes misinterpret what the goal of measuring is. It doesn’t try to say anything about how good something sounds, only about the limitations that a particular device has.

As a simple example:

• A 16bit/44khz CD has a signal to noise ratio of around 96db.

• The DAC in the Node 2i (new model) has a measured noise floor of 87db.

This means that a Node 2i will technically not be able to playback music at (full) CD quality, because the last 9db will be lost in noise. If CD quality playback is your goal, or perhaps even higher-res (24bit/96khz+), then the Node 2i is potentially not a good choice.

Competing devices in the $500-1000 price range have a measured noise floor of 100db or higher, so they don’t have this restriction.

Despite this objective measurement someone may still prefer the type/color of sound that the Node 2i produces, this is ofcourse a subjective preference. But at least it’s then good to know that the objective quality of playback will be limited to below CD quality.

1 Like

I think we’re in danger of drifting well of topic here.

3 Likes

The OP is asking if the Supernait is a noticeable upgrade vs the Nait 5i.
As so often now the thread deviates into measurements needs or bias or blind test .
When that will end ?

4 Likes

@FR don’t be disingenuous please. If the thread diverted to talk about cables instead, which also happens quite often, then you would not be complaining, even though that would also be offtopic.

Anyhow good call @Richard.Dane to get this thread back on track.

As you already have a transport and DAC, I’d go to a SN2, which would be a big improvement.

2 Likes

Just leave it already. So often are you pulling peoples posts apart like a dog with a bone. Just accept that people have different views. Offer your advice and leave it there. Let the poster decide which advice they take.

7 Likes

Super Nait will be a big step up from the Nait anyway.

The main advantage a node would have in your set up is as a Hi res transport that overcomes the limitations of airplay… (hi res, does not rely on the iPad as a playback device, roon endpoint if you go down that route at some point)…

1 Like

Get a used SN2 or SN3. First upgrade should be a dedicated circuit for your hifi if possible. Just did mine and it delivers a significant sq improvement. I had SN2 for about eight years with hicapDR and it sounded great to me.

Probably should upgrade your source so you can stream via ethernet.

1 Like

I would say the same as most in this thread. A supernait 2 or 3 would be a good foundation for most sources and a clear step up. I went from a Nait XS first gen to a secondhand supernait 2. Very happy with that, and good value compared to buying the latest model 3.

I would not consider a flatcap for a supernait, is it even possible? I can’t seem to remember that from the Naim connection guide. Only Hicap for the supernait. But sources before the Hicap I guess.

Still working out my preference for streaming and DAC solution, but the Node 2i works great meanwhile. I use the turntable alot, so streaming is not the main thing, but get used more and more.

1 Like

Naim list the Flatcap, Hicap and Supercap as all being upgrade options for the SN2 and SN3. They don’t usually say that sort of thing unless they mean it. It’s all very well saying that it’ll sound worse because it’s not DR like the built in PSU, but decoupling the PSU from the preamp is fundamental to Naim’s approach too.
Not something I’ve tried, but maybe we shouldn’t write the idea off without listening to it.

1 Like

Update on the cabling… have swapped in the Naim DIN …. if there is a difference in SQ my cloth ears can’t hear it.

KNKX.org & All Blues coming in 5x5 here on the NAT05, which has been the single best change I’ve made to my primary source of entertainment in decades…& the Arcam tuner it replaced was no slouch.

PRaT indeed.

True, good to know it is possible, but it seems quite uncommon practice.

I noticed another forum member actually trying a Flatcap (which already was owned) with an acquired SN2. It was removed after some time, as he found the sound was better (“deeper and more controlled bass”) without, and the Flatcap was sold.

Flatcap might be a more interesting option to investigate if you plan to hook it up with another component at the same time, like the NAT05, which the OP seems very happy with.

For the OP it seems reasonable to listen first, as you say. If possible also compare with a HiCap DR on a Supernait. And as other pointed out, probably look further at sources even before adding external PSU, if going for a Supernait 2 or 3.

regards

1 Like