Where to pull the pin? The Sweet Spot in amplifier upgrades

G’day HH,

That would mean selling the Harley today which I would obtain a better sale value for. Though I would miss out on ridding with my ex-military mates and not be able to keep my patched vest. We are allowed to keep our vests after 10 years service in the club. I will have completed five years in March 2021.

I realise that age 63 might be a good time to hang up the helmet and spend more time caravanning with Shelley and the dogs. Still no job, then the van will have to go then as well.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

Yes.

Best,
Chris

3 Likes

Thank you Chris,

Then I will stay where I am or maybe upgrade to a SN5 and speakers one day. Though for now and for the future I can feel comfortable where I am and put all those upgrade “What if” niggles away.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

Hi Gigantor,
You’re too young to sell your bike! Touring, camping trips and riding with your buddies are priceless memories that cannot be replaced with a a HiFi listening experience no matter how good it may be.
I toured from Scotland to southern Greece on my bike last year at the age of 64 and have ridden and raced off road bikes for many years .
If I had to choose between my 552/300 Naim gear and my BMW R1200GS Adventure, it would be bye-bye 552. I would still look for a one box Naim system that suited the depth of my pockets though.
Happy biking,
Hugh

7 Likes

Replace the speakers first? You don’t have enough data. Think about that when the TT comes home. Every time I’ve replaced a source or a black box, my speakers impressed me that much more. “Source first” works–all the more so when you won’t be using your speakers that much. BTW, the 282 is very slightly better than the 82 for a lot more money.

Hi Mitch,

Before thinking about selling your bike, you may consider that no Naim kit with any speakers in the world won’t even start to emulate the sound of a properly tuned Hayley! :wink:

1 Like

Yes that is what they say but somehow the BMW 4 is sold in China. Maybe it is relabeled, I don’t know.

I went from 112/150/fc2 to 202/200/fc2. It was better but not that much better, so my experience would be similar to yours.

Moving to 282/200/HC was significantly better. I think (IME) the 202 was the weakspot.

2 Likes

@Gigantor I will pass on from my experience over the past 20 years

when I got into NAIM I knew I wanted Vinyl to be part of that journey - I demomed SN1 vs 202/200 at that point and knew with a fair wind and budget over the years I went the seperates route which to me would get the most out of my then CD sources and my LP12 - I have been fortunate over the years to have be able to move forward on both electronics and my LP12

you have a superb source with LP12 at the level you have so I would aim to improve on the electronics first to balance those with the deck - I owned 202/200 for a number of years and loved what they gave to my CD and LP12 - then over the years added HCDR on 202 - moved to 282 both with HCDR and then SC - had the 200 in my system for 14 years before moving to 300 non DR, I was looking at 250DR and my delear had SH 300 non DR -

in the 20 years of ownership I have only owned 2 sets of speakers - In my view upgrade source Pre or AMP and speakers will offer more

time scale and budget is in your control, and unless your numbers come in, we start where we can - enjoy the music and the Journey - to me there is a real harmony between Glasgow and Salisbury

4 Likes

Thank you Antz. I am learning to appreciate my Celestions more every day. The LP12 is on its wall mount bracket after being assembled yesterday. I am now awaiting cables from my Naim shop in the post. It is easier to chat with the dealer and have items mailed than to do the four hour return trip plus shopping time at the dealer. Let alone find a car park.

I should have the LP12 up and running in a week or so.

As I have received a medical payout from my last employer due to a life long mental injury there is limited financial resources after this last spend Thus the requirement to down size assets as time goes on.

I will take what you have posted on board plus the inputs from others. This forum is a lovely community and I am fortunate for its thoughts and kind directions. A 282/250DR with HiCap x 2 or SuperCap is doable as I look forward. I think the 252/300DR is out of my reach and I will be happy with whatever level of Naim performance I can achieve. I will let my dealer know that I would be interested in secondhand Naim equipment if and when it becomes available down the track.

Thank you for your post.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

3 Likes

I have had a new look at our retirement plan and have more reserved Naim goal in mind. 202/NAPSC/HC/200DR. One or two components at a time. Though I do loose a headphone output which is critical to my listening pleasure. I am now wishing I had purchased a SN2 when I purchased the Nait XS2.

I think I will be staying put for awhile and stay with XS2 and Flatcap and make the most of what I have. Even if at the bottom end of the high end amplifiers.

Side note:

This weekend I spent away with my military mates. Clocked up 1,040 kilometres on the Harley in three days with a two night stop over at a veterans retreat in country Victoria, Australia. The retreat is called Cockatoo Rise if you wish to Google it. Six hours out, seven hours back.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

Hello Mitch. I think it’s important to have plans that are achievable, otherwise they are simply dreams. Dreams are important of course but they are something else. If you have abandoned your idea of a 282/250 then I really wouldn’t bother with a 202/200 when the Supernait 3 exists. I’ve been trying one at home and it’s superb. A lot less money than a 202/200, no silly little napsc, doesn’t really need a Hicap though there is a benefit, has a built in phono stage and of course a headphone socket. What’s not to like? Keep things simple.

7 Likes

I’m glad you didn’t, for all the extensive reasons that we went into at the time.

You cut your coat according to your cloth.

Life is for living not regretting, as your vets’ weekend shows.

Best, Chris

2 Likes

For me, the 202/200, even without a Hicap, is a different proposition altogether to the SN3, and much more appealing to my taste. There are lots of used ones around, so it can be quite affordable. Not that the SN3 is bad, and the simplicity of a one-box amp is certainly appealing, but that aside, I would go for the separates evey time.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.