Where to put powerlines first

In the mains socket first.

Hi Richard,
A question. Since most Naim systems have more boxes than a typical room would have wall mains plugs, the typical Naim system uses some sort of power block.
So, it seems that a power block is an integral Naim component. It seems like a foregone conclusion that Naim would make and market its own power block, using the same wiring it uses in its components, making sure that it has same Naim sound and the required components quality in order to maximize system performance.
Why is it then, that Naim has decided to not make this “no-brainer” move which would undoubtedly be a benefit to most of their systems and their users.

1 Like

Armen, I could make guesses, but couldn’t possibly say for sure. I see that Naim use their own mains block at shows etc… but it’s pretty home-made and well within the capabilities of most competent DIYers. Apart from that, there’s the Musicline Powerigel and the Powerigel+ that uses Naim Powerlines.

Interesting thought especially as with many 3rd party blocks/conditioners you get the feeling that they can’t deliver the current all items need - maybe you could have a max rating number, and each device assigned what it would take - a bit like telephone REN systems.

Probably will never happen though…

1 Like

I used a PowerPoint Lite on my mains block and it made a really big difference :smiley:

1 Like

@Guinnless

Powerpoint Lite or Powerline Lite?

1 Like

When I only had a single Power line I preferred it on the NAP300. The second went on the NAC252. I never for a second considered putting it on the mains block.
Have to give it a go to see if I’m missing a trick.

Alley_Cat, I would be interested to know why you think a Naim power block would probably never happen.
All decisions of this type are based on a business case. I would think Naim could sell one to 50% of all Naim system owners. Using a black box that has the typical attractive Naim look, I would think they could comfortably sell - let’s say at 1000 GBP each?
The thing is, plugging the equipment directly into the wall socket ALWAYS sounds better. I am sure Naim knows this.
So, I remain intrigued. Why would it not make business sense to make and market a dedicated Naim power block?

Unless I am mistaken, if the power block is wired in parallel, it would not matter what order the different components are plugged in. So from three junctions inside the block, there is a wire to each of the live neutral and earth.

I am also surprised that naim don’t do a power block. If they did, we all could use the wonderful UK male wall plug and just use the specific countries plug to go into the wall.

Mario.

I’m not sure how this idea contributes to your argument, but I don’t agree. Naim’s recommendation is to use a dedicated mains circuit with a single run of 10mm T&E cable. That makes it more of less impossible to instal more than one double wall socket, at which point a good quality mains block would be a good option, if not the only option for some.

I don’t follow the logic here - you can run a dedicated line with 10mm t&e and have three double sockets on it. If you are really persistent, you can use 10mm between the first and subsequent sockets, but they are such short runs that 6mm is easier to fit into the plugs.

The idea is that since Naim knows plugging into the wall sockets is in fact the best sound, they would want to minimise any damage done by the neccessery usage of a power block by making their own.
Making their own allows them to use their own selected quality of components as well as the nuances of “Naim voicing” so that the end result with a Naim power block is as close as possible to direct wall socket usage.

Running my system off a power block sounds better than from the wall socket.

I just felt if they’d intended to do it they’d have done so some time ago.

I’m not saying it wouldn’t sell or be a good idea, just perhaps there are already many 3rd party options of one kind or another out there?

1 Like

May I ask in what ways the sound quality is better? Is it in terms of lower noise floor and clarity, or detail and dynamics etc.

Currently I am still in the phase of experimenting. I have been on a power block for almost the entire life I’m in this hobby but recently changed the wall outlets to higher quality / different type of receptacles, thus enabling the use of select premium power cords. With the combined effect of receptacles and direct connection from wall to components with good cords, the sound quality is a MASSIVE improvement over a power block in between wall sockets and components. I have two power blocks, a Wireworld Matrix 2 and BPT (with Oyaide R1 sockets and Bybee Quantum Purifiers).

At some point of time I may try a high quality power conditioner (which comes with a transformer) just to see how far things can go. No more power block/strips for me although some of the designs claim to not restrict current or affect clarity/dynamics in music although I understand the function of these “unfiltered” power blocks is mainly to filter or block unwanted noise, RFI and/or EMI.

Hi @ryder. There’s a bit of a story behind that for me. We have a 1960’s timber bungalow with the linear power feeds that New Zealand houses have. We have standard wall sockets, 2 by my main system and 4 by my second system. When I upgraded my main system my dealer leant me a mains noise metre, which showed up some nasty mains noise. This noise is not an audible noise, but masks the noise floor.

As a result, and because I need power-blocks for other equipment, I got a couple of the Isotek power-blocks that include filters. These have pretty much removed the mains noise (I took before and after measurements), resulting in a lower noise floor with a cleaner presentation, but without compromising dynamics (which I believe can be an issue with some power filters/conditioners). This was endorsed by one on the NZ Naim dealers who uses the bigger Isotek conditioners on a 500 system.

So now, I have Isotek leads from the wall socket to the Isotek power-boards and Naim Powerlines to the Naim boxes. Seems to work very well. Re-wiring to the walls sockets isn’t an easy option in our house, so I’m happy with things as they stand,

1 Like

Thats useful information for me as you have answered a question I was going to raise. At the moment I have a Wirweorld mains block powering most of my system with a basic extension block powering the rest of my system and TV/Cable box. I have an NDX2 on order along with a new rack and my current mains connections are not really good enough. I have been looking at Isotek mains blocks which seem to be well regarded by forum members and toying with the idea of getting one. I was concerned about the effect having a mix of isotek and naim power leads might have. You have allayed my concerns! Might be a while before I can purchase full powerlines though. A dedicated mains spur is going to have to wait a while too! Ours is a very enjoyable hobby/passtime but an expensive one!!

1 Like

Hi @Inmynaim
I’ve just had a mains spur fitted, I paid over the odds at £400 (longish run) but job done.
I can’t you give any info as to sound differences as it was for a new system, but many here have attested to the benefits.

Some images of the work that took a max of a couple of hours. Images in reverse order :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

All done as per forum recommendations, thanks in particularly go to @anon4489532 who helped me get to this point.

Spot the difference?

3 Likes

Thanks for your input!

One of the dogs is awake? Glad to have been of service.

3 Likes