Which 0% beer are you drinking and why might someone else enjoy it?

I guess the simple answer is “why should I have to drink a very sweet drink if i’m not having alcohol?”.

There’s and “Ode to Beer” if i’ve ever heard one!

2 Likes

Good luck with finding a few bottles.

It is exceptionally good. Not the real thing, but a very good substitute.

1 Like

Iain

I could post something similar except substituting ‘under the effect of alcohol’ for ‘sober’.

Different folks, different choices. Interesting zero alcohol drinks that aren’t stuffed with sugar or sweeteners are a boon to those of us who choose to avoid alcohol much of the time.

Bruce

3 Likes

Hop Back Crop Circle

1 Like

4 Likes

Cultural in what sense?

I agree that many trips/holidays might have been less exciting over the years without alcohol, but have tried quite a few low alcohol drinks over the last couple of years just to see what’s out there these days.

I wonder how much I’ve missed out on culturally abroad just by having had a few too many the day/night before which would have made me quite disinterested in say visiting famous historic buildings, museums/galleries etc.

The majority of these low alcohol ubstitutes are not great but there are definitely ones that I’d prefer over others, and it’s likely to be a very individual thing.

I think it’s a bit of a shame that so many do try for ‘0%’ or <0.5%. I’m sure many beers would taste a lot better (even if not as good as the normal ones) with 1-2% alcohol content, or maybe spirits with 10-15% content provided you used the same measures and just didn’t imbibe/mix a lot more. Maybe it’s simpler to try to extract virtually all the alcohol than to produce drinks with lower alcohol content.

3 Likes

This is a key point. About ten or so years back in Ontario here, Molson made a 2.5% beer for a while and it was very good. I could drink it on a night out without cramping my style too much. I don’t know what adjuncts (allowable additions like rice) they added to the brew, but it was quite full-flavoured. They only made it for a year or so, but now that I get neuro issues in my lower legs from extra alcohol, I wish they still did.
Posters that say they don’t get 0% beer are just too young or too d"mn healthy.

1 Like

Can you believe some stupid idiot’s are paying £20 for pint of Guinness at the Cheltenham festival. Now that money could go towards VINYL

3 Likes

holy moly - more money than sense.

1 Like

To be fair I personally think that applies to betting on horses too!

3 Likes

‘0% Beer’ is an oxymoron.

2 Likes

That’s shocking. I stopped going to the pub when the price of a pint got close to £5, let alone £20.

2 Likes

I quite agree. I would add that they probably also do not drink with a frequency that borders on having a problem. For me 0% beer has helped me to stay mostly on the wagon for almost 2 years.

4 Likes

When beer got close to £5 a pint I built my own pub in the garden…cask ale works out at £1.25 pint…payback on the building approx 12 yrs… :beer:

4 Likes

Yes exactly. It allows a higher frequency of consumption, which I also need to watch, without increasing overall alcohol ingestion.
Congrats on the 2 years.

1 Like

That’s clever, perhaps, but I’m no longer allowed to drink alcohol, so 0% alcohol is a damn sight better than nothing.

1 Like

Drink as much of it as you like.

But it should not be called beer. Because it isn’t.

1 Like

We shall have to agree to disagree. It’s brewed in exactly the same way as ordinary beer, then the alcohol is removed.

I don’t know how they do that. But I don’t know how to brew beer either.

I can’t see that it matters, in any event. Main thing is that it tastes bloody good.

3 Likes

Today’s beer is not bad at all but still not the real thing!