Which Artist/ Band

Pentangle were a band that passed me by, though I later discovered the wonderful Bert Jansch. We had Jacqui McShee’s current version of the band play of our WemsFest gigs a little while ago and while she is the only original member I thought they were brilliant. I must look into them further. Jacqui is lovely; she left her glasses in the kitchen and we didn’t know whose they were. Luckily she was reunited with them before going on stage. She had some funny stories about Bert too.

1 Like

I never managed to get to meet any of them, sadly. I wish I had. I had a bit of a crush on Jacqui when I was young (16? 17?).

HH

The Cherry Red box set is ideal, it contains all the albums plus bonus stuff and the recordings are IMHO excellent and it’s good value…I don’t get royalties despite contributing a few tracks!

Chris

It would be a hard task to name more than a small proportion. The 1960s to 1980s was a period of huge variety, experimentation, diversity. There was a time when you would have the likes of Val Doonican, Frank Sinatra, Cliff Richards and the Shadows, Percy Faith, Elvis Presley, Chubby Checker, The Everly Brothers all in the charts at about the same time. Not that I would rate them all as good, by any means, but the sheer variety was wonderful.

That’s the fun of volunteering - you get to chat to the bands. We often go to the pub before their set - Ric Sanders and his trio were great and so down to earth. So many of them say ‘thanks so much for having us’ which is lovely and when they thank you from the stage it’s extra nice. Never happened at work. You also get to see lots of different people and discover new music. There are the odd few who are up themselves but they are very much the exception. The first time I met Fairport was when I asked for their tickets before letting them in but they were very sweet about it.

1 Like

Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Kraftwerk and David Bowie in 1976.

Can in 1978, Joy Division in 1979, New Order in 1980/1.

The Beatles, but oddly enough, not until 1988 (late developer).

The first time that I saw them live was at the Windsor Jazz And Blue Festival 1967, Bert and John at that time were playing standing up with electric guitars and not acoustic, Danny steadfastly had his double bass. Then I caught them whenever I could and any Bert/John solo shows culminating in their last gig at the Royal Festival Hall shortly before Bert’s untimely passing. John was still in fine form with Wizz Jones on his last tour. There is something very magical about B & J and Pentangle’s music, for me it is utterly timeless.
Chris

1 Like

Does it have Yarrow - a song which I have (badly recorded) but I would like a better recording.

Lots more in my late teens, but at the age of 14, 15 and 16 I think that the biggest influences on me were probably:

Otis Redding
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Pink Floyd
Simon & Garfunkel

with a little Leonard Cohen, Melanie (Safka), Bridget St John and Judee Sill.

I still listen to Pink Floyd a lot, and the others, but only occasionally.

I don’t think so. You can see the track listing here… https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/pentangle-the-albums-1968-1972/

I’ve ordered a copy anyway, it will be nice to discover something new. Old, but new to me.

As far as I’m aware "Yarrow " only appears on disc 2 of the Pentangle “Time Has Come” box set but it’s a Bert performance taken from his 1973 “Moonshine” album, it’s a very nice vocal and arrangement. Pentangle did play this song live but not recorded /released I believe.

The last three tracks on the “Solomon’s Seal” disc are very low -fi, record by yours truly with a hand held microphone into a cassette recorder from the audience, the original plan in 2007 was to issue the whole of my tape of the gig as a bonus disc for a “Solomon’s Seal” reissue, it didn’t happen for a number of reasons, usual music biz stuff. There was also going to be a Bert live at Royal Festival Hall 1971 from another of my tapes, but once again it was nixed, actually I think he may sing Yarrow on that I must give it a listen…it’s been a long time!

Chris

Somewhere, I think, I have it on a cassette tape. I must search for it.

The artwork on the sleeve was by Chris Ayliffe - who was no mean guitarist himself, though pretty nearly deaf.

Ok, it’s been another 10 years. Sade, time for some new content.

The Prodigy - Music for the Jilted Generation, the first non compilation album I ever bought. Sadly I also purchased 2 Unlimited - Real Things at the same time which makes my “cool” first album seem less impressive! I’m still a big fan of the Prodigy, less so of 2 unlimited.

Dave

Dave

1. U2 The Joshua Tree.
    Was a young fanboy and it seemed like forever since they last did anything. This came out and boom.
    Saw them live at Wembley with my mum. Bless.

2. The Smiths. Strangeways, here we come.
    Came out the end of 87 but took me a while going through their other albums to find this.

3. The Stone roses. The Cure. Disintegration.
    The stone roses was a really good one that felt synonymous with looking for the young ladies, but goth girls were always cuter. Disintegration was always on in the background whilst making out.

Actually I posted this in the wrong room by mistake.

1967/8, I was 13/14

The Doors
Jefferson Airplane
Otis Redding

Still listen and love them all.

Before 67, The Kinks and Dusty

Ditto.

1 Like

14 (1968) - Beatles (Sgt Peppers)
15 (1969) - Cream (Wheels Of Fire)
16 (1970) - Cat Stevens (Tea For The Tillerman)

Still listen to all three now and again, along with the dozens of others I could have plumped for! These three just seemed to have the associations - young love, youth club, first ‘proper’ gig etc.