Which cartridge for new Rega P3

I’m hearing good things about Hana Cartridges.

I hear good things from my Hana Cartridge.

Yes went from Elys 2 to Ortofon Blue and prefer it. Fono with P3 as well.

1 Like

I have a Hana SL on my P3 and very pleased with it, however it does require the arm to be lifted through a spacer and the tungsten weight if you want to use the lid during play (it has a smaller diameter than the standard weight)

1 Like

Hi Guys, I’ve been buying all sorts of stuff this week, such as a Project Carbon brush, stylus cleaning fluid and an anti static record cleaning arm which I’m still trying to master and I’ll get there in the end.

My one issue with this setup is some LP’s which have brightish vocals (sibilance) and I mean mostly old vinyl seems to be an issue with the Elys 2 along with the age old issue of inner groove distortion.

When I decided I’d get back into buying records again I though issue the problem of IGD Wouldn’t be such an issue but I can’t get my head around how to minimise it and it’s so frustrating p.

My Rega P3 is perfecto level and I bought a stylus force gauge and now the VTF is spot on @1.75grams. Any old vinyl has been cleaned at least once with my Disco Antistat which is a good tool I have to say so I’m looking at this Elys 2 and thinking whether to get in touch with my dealer and try to come up with any ideas.

I’ve been reading up about IGD and i suppose it’s all about compromise and minimising distortion across the whole of the disc but that’s a discussion for another day. I believe the Elys 2 is fitted in a fixed position so incorrect mounting is almost impossible so I suppose I’m going to have to change the cartridge but whether my dealer will do this with a cartridge that’s got around 15 hours on the clock is debatable but my dealer has been great to be fair.

I’m sure I’ll sort this out one way or another but as usual your comments and advice is very welcome.

Cheers,

Mike…

Have you tried the records in question on a different turntable? It sounds that you have been pretty meticulous with your setup so it may be a case that the sibilant top end is permanent wear on the records. Maybe they’ve been played on a worn stylus at some point?

Hi Jonotron, Thanks for your reply; no I haven’t played any of my records on another turntable and you could be right maybe the records are worn out, but the sibilance occurs in my brand new vinyl too especially toward the inner part of the record. I recently bought Queens Greatest Hits 1 on double vinyl and mostly it sounded good except that on certain tracks like, ’Save Me’ the sound hardens up quite a bit as though the cartridge is just not coping with the extra work it has to do when tracking to the centre of the disc. On other new records like, Dire Straits, On Every Street double fantastic vinyl it’s a real treat to listen to that album, it does sound wonderful blowing my CD version out of the water. The sound does slightly harden up but it doesn’t distract me really it’s such a superb recording and pressing too.

My dealer insisted, (after my suggestion I put an Exact cart on) that I stick to the Elys 2 so I just went his advice and saved a few quid but I’m thinking already I need to move the Elys on,(albeit it’s a good cartridge), my music system just emphasises the sibilant sounds.

Before I went for the Rega and Elys2 I was minded to go for the Rega P3 with Nagaoka MP110 or MP150, the latter being my favourite option. I’ve owned a few Nags many years ago and although the stylus doesn’t last as long as some carts at ,least one can change it out when necessary and they seem to, track very well too.

Regards,

Mike…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.