Which components to switch off?

Useful website. Put in your appliance’s power rating and time period, and it tells you the cost.

Presume it’s accurate.

Means you can compare various settings or product types and see what makes the most difference, or if there is any real life difference at all

1 Like

just had news flash that the uk price cap is set to rise by a further £800 in october… makes this thread more relevant too!

It’s the continuous power draw that Naim are showing. Starting with the 90W figure then you would be using 0.09kW/hour.

1 Like

Do you know the power factor value of your LED bulbs, I checked mine last year, some are as low as 0.1. I’m sure you know the significance of this with respect to actual power usage, but I very much doubt the average non-engineer does.

1 Like

Thank you

Exactly.

And the less amps get cooked, the longer they live … as long as they exercise regularly:)

And the fact that one makes energy savings elsewhere, doesn’t mean that it should be wasted … on amps.

2 Likes

Yes I’m aware of power factors with most of LED lamps I have, also the effect of dimmers. It’s something I check, when the info is available, maybe why I’ve tended to select the more established/well known brands.

1 Like

Watts are a power rating but you pay for the energy, which is power over time.

If the device uses 10 watts, multiply by the hours it is turned on, to get the watt-hours, Wh. This is the energy it uses over this time. In this example, if the 10 watts unit is on for 24 hours, it uses 240 Wh.

Hence, a 10 watts device over 24 hours uses the same amount of energy as a 20 watts device over 12 hours.

Divide the Wh by 1000 to get kilo-Wh or kWh, which is what the power company bills you for.

1 Like

If you really want to turn off something, just turn off the 250.
Hopefully that will keep the other half happy and will quickly warm up again.

2 Likes

Excellent. Thanks

1 Like

All the current streamers and Unitis do this, but my understanding is that only parts that are required to keep them discoverable are powered up, i.e. Ethernet, WiFi, and Zigbee. So maintaining discoverability rather than ‘optimum performance’, for which you could use a workaround such as enabling server mode to keep the main PSU running.

This is indeed what Steve explained here as well (and in another one a few posts down from there to clarify my questions)

1 Like

I switch off everything when not in use, when out or at nights.

Done so the last two decades as opposite to the 90’s when the green logos were on 24/7.

Perfectly fine with me.

1 Like

I tend to follow manufacturer’s recommendations. Naim says leave on/in standby for best performance, so I do. Auralic, too — it’s to do with the streamer clock needing to be warm to operate optimally. But ATC reckon the amp packs on their active speakers take at most half an hour to warm up, so these get switched off after use.

Roger

1 Like

Thanks for all the interesting responses, certainly food for thought in todays climate. I’m inclined to power down all but preamp and streamer for now. Thanks, this is such a great forum!

1 Like

I am sure when I visited Naim, and had, with several of us here, a presentation about the design improvements in the then new streamers (I think you might have been there Chris?) it was stated the standby power supply kept certain components optimised for sonic performance such as the clock rather than simply keeping the np800 card powered… but it was a few years back, and we did not get a copy of the presentation… so could well be wrong, perhaps Naim could confirm at some point.
(I am not going to take the lid of my ndx2 to poke around. :grinning:)

Hi Simon (& Chris), I agree, as I recall the Naim presentation on the SMPS standby function it was to keep the components/circuits powered up that were affected by power cycling & establish optimum SQ quickly at full system power up. I don’t recall items being listed other than the clock circuit.
(I just checked the mug shots & Chris did not go to that Naim meeting)

Its surprising how high Naim streamers power consumption is when idle, my NDX is always slightly warm.
Since this latest drive on reducing power costs, I’ve started powering off my NDX (XPS) when I know I won’t be using it for a few days. I’ve not gone into cost/watt measurements, but the Smart Meter £ reading first thing in the morning tends to show a slightly lower number.

1 Like

Hi Simon, I don’t recall any discussion of standby power being used for keeping key components powered up for sound quality purposes, but you could be right. Not sure how much the meagre 2W power available would achieve here. Perhaps @Stevesky would know as he has commented here before regarding network standby power use.

1 Like

As per the Steve post I linked above, he already confirmed there that wake-up from standby adds a warm-up time until everything is at its best, which can be avoided by server mode

Yes, that’s been mentioned repeatedly but it doesn’t address the possibility of network standby mode keeping anything warmed up for performance purposes.