Which four box system would you choose?

It is what I listen to now, a great classic system. The 300DR is perfect with standmounts which are more decoupled from room-modes (detailed) and both handle low-level listening better.

I am currently looking at adding an audio cassette deck to the system. I also have Minidisc and reel-reel but they stay in my home-studio. The reel-reel is bigger than a 4-box system.

Ideally I would like a stronger alternative above the 272 quality level (and I am saving up in case it happens :-)). But I am not going back to multi-box preamps.

I have a lot of obscure music tagged and ready according to a more suitable taxonomy and now that I am getting some order in the collection it is a joy using the iPad to find stuff

I think a NDX 2 - 555DR - HiCap DR - SN3 - would make for a fabulous 4 box system. In fact that’s where i’m heading - 3 down 1 to go!

That 555dr could cost more than the NDX2! Are you sure?

Yup. I’ve heard what a 555DR can bring to a NDX 2.

P.S i’m not exactly unhappy with the three box system i already have, so no rush. But if an amazing opportunity were to present itself and all that…?

A friend of mine trialled a 555dr and an XPS on Saturday. To her ears she could hear no difference. And there was an improvement when both power supplies were added. Just the 555dr sounded the same as the XPS. To her at least.

3 Likes

Well to be fair i’ve only heard a 555DR on a NDX 2 and not the XPS DR. I would at least have to try what your sensible friend has done to make double sure. Obviously, a XPS DR would be much more preferable on the finances. So all good if that’s the case.

As its hypothetical, ND555 with 2 PS555DR and Auralic Vega G2.1 into ATC SCM50A

I can’t understand those funny answers…isn’t to choose the best?

I’m afraid i can’t see if your reply is to my suggestion or a previous one but for me that was fairly sensible, the best source i can currently think of and balanced outputs from the pre/streamer to (my currently owned) speakers

1 Like

Personally I would compare first , without rush, xps dr vs 555 dr on the Ndx2. Not sure the difference is big.
On Nds, Nd555, the 555 dr is fully exploited. Not on Ndx2.

4 Likes

Good advice there from Sweetie.

1 Like

Why get involved so you choose ND555/555dr…552/552ps

Personal experience over many years has taught me that while there is never a universally acceptable solution to most things, the source first approach works best for me, most of the time.

What works best for you is entirely down to your ears. My ears are no use to you. It’s not about balancing costs or assessing what looks more logical on paper. It’s about what sounds best in the ears of the person who is paying for it.

3 Likes

With what you have in place already (ND555, 555PS, and Supercap, in addition to your expressed affection for the ND555), trying the SN3 seems like the option with the least transaction costs…

It looks like the OP already has an ND555, seems a shame to downgrade that so that leaves two boxes for the amp with a view to adding a turntable. Would a supernait be OK after a 252/300? What non Naim amp(s) would play music. The Vitus fans will no doubt have an opinion but what else? Can Dartzeel hold a tune? (I’m discounting Linn but that’s pure prejudice).

I am quite happy with my Nagra Integrated. I used to own a 272/Xpsdr/250 DR with SL full loom. My digital front end is a Naim Core/Mscaler/TT2 and I have an RP 10 for vinyl. To my ears,the Nagra is better sounding.

Nakamichi Dragon
Nait 2 converted to preamp duty
300 (non-DR)

My face is red now :laughing:

1 Like

The OP has Nd555/ 555dr/ 252/supercap/300dr/300ps: 6 boxes.
He wants to have only 4 boxes, and the best 4 boxes system. So I don’t see other option as Nd555/555dr/282/250dr.

Or: Nd555/ Townsend Reference pre/ 250 dr.

1 Like