Which Hi-Line should I order?

I would like to upgrade the interconnect between my Naim electronics and my non-Naim headphone amplifier, and I am unsure which Hi-Line to order from my dealer.

I believe these are my four options:

(i) Connect my NDX 2 directly to the headphone amplifier with an RCA > RCA Hi-Line. (The DIN output of my NDX 2 is connected to my preamplifier with a DIN > DIN Hi-Line.)

(ii) Connect my NDX 2 directly to the headphone amplifier with an RCA > XLR Hi-Line. (The DIN output of my NDX 2 is connected to my preamplifier with a DIN > DIN Hi-Line.)

(iii) Connect my NAC282 to the headphone amplifier with a DIN > RCA Hi-Line.

(iv) Connect my NAC282 to the headphone amplifier with a DIN > XLR Hi-Line.

My headphone amplifier is the Niimbus HPA US 4+ made by Lake People in Germany.

My headphone is the Focal Utopia with a Danacable Lazuli Reference cable terminated with a balanced plug.

Thank you for your thoughts.

I’d go for option 3, 282 to headphone amp.

I think the Hi-Line DIN > RCA version you’d need for this is a special order. The DIN connection needs to be wired differently to be able to use the AV/Aux1/Tape DIN sockets on the 282 unlike the standard Hi-Line DIN > RCA which is wired to suit a Naim source DIN output.

Your dealer should be able to order the correct version for you.

3 Likes

As James says, you’ll need to go special order to ensure the correct Rec out pins are connected on the DIN. See the FAQ here on connecting headphone amps to a Naim kit.

2 Likes

I had the opportunity to demo a used Audio Note Japan KSL-VZ II RCA interconnect, and I purchased it. In my opinion, it outperforms the Naim HiLine interconnect.

I have to add, I am more than impressed with my Naim NDX 2 (XPS non-DR) and my Focal Utopia headphone. They continue to scale with every upgrade.

My NDX 2 is connected directly to my headphone amplifier. I decided to bypass the preamplifier.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.