Which is the best small system with very good DAC?

1v from my Qutest to Nait2 and 82.

How are you wanting to feed the dac? Direct connection or networked music?

My DAC is fed by:
1/ from my computer to my DAC by USB (foobar for music, vlc for video)
2/ from my squeezebox (fed by network and a LMS server) to my DAC by SPDIF

I’m in a similar situation, wanting 2 boxes and a high end headphone. I’ve opted for the SN2 with an NDX2, waiting on delivery.

Hello,
So here is my first step: I’ve just received yesterday my new dac and it’s a Chord qutest. My first impression is the openess, the details and the transparency of the dac which are very very good. For the cons, I do not like the glowing led. Maybe it has less character than a true naim device. But maybe the “character” of the sound comes mainly by the pre-amplifier.
It’s an exit for the following solution: the dac-v1 and the superuniti (and all the uniti familly).
So, now, I’m looking for the myryad replacement. In the almost same price league, I could see: the supernait (the first one), the NAC72/NAP180. But I’ve forgotten the XS-2 which seems to be a very good device. All this solutions could be further improved by an HiCap.
In an other league, I would put the SN2, and the NAC72/HICAP DR/NAP 250. But right now this league is a little over budget.
Maybe the NAC72 is the best way (olive character, and more upgradablilty), but harder to find, and needs a little more room.
to be followed…

When I was looking for a Nac 72, I just emailed / phoned a couple of dealers. Within a week I got a very nice proposal from a Naim dealer which was cheaper and better than the most 2nd hand places.

It is worth reaching out.

I have a 72/140 setup which is very nice. Chord dacs (I have only a Mojo though) pair well with Naim olive.

Do not forget the Nac 102 which is better than the 72 and comes with a remote control.

It’s true that I haven’t consider the NAC 102. In one hand, I wanted a system with a small footprint (so either an integer amplifier or the 70/140), and If I would go for a double full box, I would be more tempted by a 82/250 than a 102/180. In the other hand, the 82/250 is not in the same league of price and it require also a Napsc and at least one HiCap. All of that begin to take a lot of room on my desk… But As I have a 2 screen computer, maybe I could put one box beside each screen…

It is sometimes difficult to decide but if you buy Olive or CB stuff at the right price, you won’t loose much selling them if you ever upgrade… By the way, your Qutest is only going to get better in a few weeks! :+1:

1 Like

How does qutest improve with run in ?

Do not overlook the importance of the source/DAC. If the Musical Fidelity V-DAC II is a carbon copy of the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC, I am convinced that there would be room for improvement if you upgrade the V-DAC II. I used to own the MF M1 DAC before I upgraded to the Chord QBD76. It’s a night a day difference as music came to life (music sounds flat and lifeless with the MF M1).

You may consider the Naim DAC or one of the Chord units,

Sorry, I can’t explain why but my Qutest now sound better than when it was new.

Had my Qutest a couple of months now and it sounded great from day one, couldn’t honestly say that the sound has improved any more than that.

Loulou—
For me, chord are best dacs out there at their price levels. And I was a previous naim dac v1 owner.
I had a chord hugo before the qutest, another great dac but a pain in the but for everyday use in a static system.
I have my qutest set to 2v (Green) output into my Nait XS2.

1 Like

Unfotunately, I don’t live in the UK, and the second hand market is not as good as yours. So one of my best source to find one is a well known auction site :wink:

For the moment, I let the 1v by default. As my qutest is the only source, it is maybe not two much importance, and allow more amplitude for the volume setting on the amplifier

I don’t live in the UK either (however I am in London these days, but for work).

Hi Guys !
In the end, I had chosen the most expensive way : SN2+Qutest. But like a phrase in a famous old french movie : you forget the price but the quality remain.
I had chosen the elements for the following things (if it can help anybody else):
SN2: firstly because I had an occasion to find a recent second hand not too expensive (compare to the price of a new one) and it ticks everything I need (balance setting, good headphone amplifier, not too big even if it is a big box (in the naim family), pretty good pre-amplifier and very good amplifier. I cancel the path with the nac72 because it is harder to find one with the good card inside, and in the end, if you add an Hicap, a headphone amplifier (plus a napsc), and a large nap (180/200/250), the count of box inflate a lot, too much for me. The SN2 is said to be better than the 202/200 (even DR), for about the same amount of cash (in second hand) but the SN2 is just one box vs 2.5 for the separate element. The Olive 82/250 should be even better, cost almost the same, but still the issue of at least 2.5box.
Chord Qutest: I didn’t choose the dac-v1 because I wasn’t convince by the pre-amp of the V1. I should be tempted to associate it with a nap250, but maybe not the natural alliance for it, and not the best balance of the element. Maybe it is better to associate it with a SN2 (with pre-amp off) or a NAP 200DR. I did choose the Qutest for its sound quality and its very little size, and as it leave on my desk I had no real need for a remote. I still hate the color of the led of its buttons. For a living room I will definitely prefer the nDac, and a second hand nDac could be even cheaper, add the remote capability, nicier with other naim full box element. I didn’t choose the nDac because of it’s size.
Thank you everybody for your help and opinion(s) !
And now let’s play the music (It’s the only true real matter !)

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.