Which JAZZ album have you discovered and why you enjoy it

To continue our sharings on the jazz albums we discovered recently, we began in the « best 2020 jazz albums « .

My purchases of the last 12 months have been the Sons of Kemet Your Queen is a Reptile

and The Neck Three

4 Likes

Tried to find The Necks. Couldn’t. Not on iTunes here.

They’re on Tidal

1 Like

And Qobuz, though I couldn’t find that particular album.

Roger

I bought it from HD Tracks.

I will listen on YouTube, it’s surely there.

Here the Next. Interesting. A special ambiance.

1 Like

Why are the jazz threads proliferating? The general thread and the retrospective best of 2020 are sufficient. After all there are also the general vinyl and what are you listening to threads as well. I would prefer the jazz topic to remain focused.

2 Likes

I explained above my reason, but understand yours.
As I said also, I am quite sure that this new thread will close himself, as was the case of Jazz refreshed, because of lack of enough interest for modern jazz.

I’m inclined to agree with you that there is an emphasis on the 50s-60s in the general jazz thread, which is largely a consequence of the Blue Note reissue programme, I think. If you want a focus on more contemporary jazz I suggest this thread is changed to something more precise, like
Jazz recordings from 1969 to the contemporary

1 Like

I will wait for other proposals, but your one is good.
Why not just « contemporary jazz ».?

That one is announced for April

1 Like

As I said on the other thread. The Jazz Music thread (or any other for that matter) can only reflect the tastes of its contributors, if you want to see more contemporary music on the Jazz Music thread, support it and post it there, that’s my view.

1 Like

To mirror the post 1969 recordings on the Jazz Music thread.
Sorry to sound facetious, you get my drift

1 Like

How do you define “contemporary”? Earlier today I posted an album on the Jazz Thread that was recorded in 2019. Probably not to your taste but as far as I’m concerned that’s contemporary.

When you refer to modern jazz do you mean todays up and coming musicians? Probably I think. Good for you but you have to appreciate some of us are from a different generation. Are you not interested the jazz masters? The musicians that shaped, and probably inspired, the musicians you are listening too?

Dave

1 Like

Agreed. I love the current new thang (not neccesarily On Impulse geddit?), Shabaka Hutchings, Nubya Garcia et el but I also love the historical greats and want to hear and learn about them too.
To loosely paraphrase Gary Crosby (Tomorrows Warriors) in my own crude style, it ain’t no good coming with your new forward looking Jazz if you dont know your Charlie Parker.
Put another way (in a musical context) if you dont know your history you cant determine your destiny.
King Oliver to Sons Of Kemet, it’s all good and imo should be shared togethor, old to the new, each one teach one.

2 Likes

I’m not aiming this at anyone on these forums. I also feel that the older generation of Jazz lovers, I include myself, should appreciate and respect the music being made by today’s extraordinarily talented young “jazz” musicians.
It’s still Jazz Jim, but maybe not as you know it.

2 Likes

I’m constantly digging for new jazz artists as well as older stuff that might have slipped under my radar.
I try to keep an open mind regarding the newer artists and once in a while I discover one that does it for me. The aforementioned Sons of Kemet for example.
Unfortunately as much as I try I find a lot of the newer stuff is just too irritating and believe me I listen to all kinds of weird music.
Then again when I first got into jazz many years ago there was well regarded stuff that I just didn’t get. Take for example: some of Ornette Coleman’s less accessible material. Didn’t get it then, still don’t get it today.

1 Like

Yes, I think you understood my meaning. I was referring to actual jazz.
I don’t say I am not interested at all by the jazz masters from 40’s, 50’s, or 60’s, but nowadays I don’t listen to them. However some of these jazz masters were or are involved in more modern jazz , like Miles Davis, Wayne Shorter, Joe Henderson…and a lot more.
For instance I prefer much more listening to Agharta, Decoy, In a silent way…by Miles Davis ( his albums between 1969 and 1983), rather than his first albums. It’s a matter of tastes.

2 Likes