Which move gives best sq?

My dealer’s opinion is that adding an XPS to an NDX is significantly better than upgrading to NDX2 without a PSU upgrade, and in my opinion, he is right.
I ignored his advice, though, and bought an NDX2 anyway, but I use it with an external DAC connected by SPDIF, which is another upgrade option that many have done instead of the PSU upgrade.

@Lucifer my journey based on the same systerm as yours,

I’m not saying this is the only route but its the route I choose and today I am in a really good place with my system, I see no need to upgrade my NDX at present - only use for FLAC and IRADIO

changed my then CDX2 with XPS > NDX in 2014 which is still in system

200 > moved in 2017 to 300 non DR > DR in 2018

202 with HCDR >282 with HCDR NAPSC (2016)> 282/ added SC (Jan 2019) > 252/SC moved in April 2019

my main source is LP12 spec on my Bio, built by Peter @Cymbiosis

the route to our muscial goal has many paths

Why do one not use the internal dac and only use it as a streamer? I mean, if so a Chromecast audio for 20USD would do like the same combined with your external dac?

The Naim DAC and various Chord DACs have been very popular upgrades to the old NDX, and many preferred them to a PSU upgrade. Sure, you could use a Chromecast, AirPort Express, or a phone over Bluetooth into a separate DAC if you like, but they sound significantly worse than a Naim streamer as a transport to my ears. I also prefer the functionality of a Naim streamer for multiroom, Roon, etc.

Which Chord DACs are the most popular combo?

A Chromecast will work and make a noise but musical it isn’t. I got rid of mine it just wasn’t worthy as a high quality source. Not surprising really given the price of it.

The original Chord Hugo was a very popular option, which started a bit of a craze for running an external DAC, not least because it was cheap compared to the NDAC, especially if you ran that with an external PSU. Various people then tried other Chord DACs as they were released, including the Qutest, Hugo TT, Hugo 2 and Dave.

You’ll loose a lot of money trading your NDX for the latest ancillary.
To me it would be a bad move.
Dunno but in the event digital streaming is your goal just think of how much can be lost and/or obtained ignoring/ improving what is before the streamer.
If not try it before buying.
In your shoes I’ d certainly look for a 282 and XPSDr as the more sensible and safer choice to complement and improve your chain.

1 Like

Err… Arguably the main thing you are getting with the new streamers with the possible exception of the ND555 is the advanced digital transport mechanisms, enhanced clock and enhanced control… and less so the DAC which in my opinion is not so special. The transport on the other hand is exceptional and was the major area of architectural improvement between the old and current streamer models. (In my opinion)
The new streamers can run in digital or analogue mode (but not both at the same time) no doubt because of the different internal optimisations for each configuration.
I also run my NDX2 in digital output mode, and it was a worthwhile step up over my old NDX running with its SPDIF enabled.
The NDX was good for it’s time, but quite simply things have significantly moved along including Naim know how with network audio.

3 Likes

Indeed, and the Chord DACs are Uber sensitive on transport quality to sound their best… otherwise you might as well not bother. Naim streamers, and even more so the new streamers provide that quality.

I have tried all the recent Chord DACs… and the winner for me overall and the DAC I have repeatedly returned back to is my mk 1 Hugo… absolute gem… with my NDX2 transport and 552 NAC, 250, ATC19 speakers.

I have read your thoughts on Hugo mk1 with NDX2 before. I have the same system as you (albeit 300DR in place of 250.2 & NDX2 with 555PSDR) and would like to hear what improvements the Chord DAC brings compared to the analogue out of the NDX2.

I don’t want to be disrespectful to anyone … but to me it’s chalk and cheese. The insight, feel, emotional intensity and the ability listen into the recording is immense with the Hugo.
The NDX2 analogue out is fine, and is certainly no slouch, but it just doesn’t have that feel, precision and musical intensity of the Hugo for me… albeit it sounds attractive and bounces along…
Listen and compare say the emotional intensity and drive of Joy Division’s Unknown Pleasures… or to an other extreme the exquisite choral interplay and mournful feel of Pergolese’s Stabat Mater; Quando Corpus Morietur … and perhaps you will know what I mean …

Today the 252 got sold, possibly to @angelodipa which I noticed also came after it :smile: it might have been just as good though since it wasn’t an as straightforward upgrade as I would have thought. At least for me in my situation. However since it’s the same person selling the 555 I decided to give that a go. In other words, starting with an extreme power supply, So exciting days to come. What will happen to my precious ndx? hopefully something sweet

Ok, well I’m intrigued how the NDX2 sounds as a transport into Chord Hugo TT, or TT2 for that matter. It’s not easy to home demo a Hugo Mk1 these days and I don’t know anyone who has one. It’s a shame we don’t live closer…

I put a 555PSDR on my NDX (into 52/SC/135s) earlier in the year. It was a very serious upgrade, more details, better separation of the musical threads, and overall it made listening to music more enjoyable. The NDX was replaced by a ND555, but the NDX/555PS combination was a lovely one for me. Enjoy!

1 Like

yes it’s me … you caught me😂

1 Like

There are a lot of used 1st generation Hugos around. You can easily get one for about £600 on ebay, try it, and sell it on if you don’t like it.

I’d like a TT tho (& in black) and not seen these that cheap on eBay. They seem to go for £1500+

Yes, a TT is going to cost more.