Which Naim CD player beats a Naim streamer on sound quality?

Never having heard a Naim CD player I don’t think my opinion has much weight but recently I purchased a CD transport and it was noticeably better than my streaming setup which I think is very good.

They both go into the same DAC which is the SW1X so I guess what I’m saying is I think it’s the DACs that are being compared in each model more than anything else.

That just goes to show how varied listener preferences are b/c the CDS3/XPS doesn’t touch the 272/555 in engagement and enjoyment afaic. Not even close. And then there’s the ease and engagement of finding and enjoying music streaming offers. No contest for me.

1 Like

A/B comparison done in my system about a year ago.

CDS2/XPS vs NDX2/XPS DR. All else was the same. The NDX2 resolved a bit more detail and had a little more clarity than the CDS2, but it sacrificed a little bit of the soul of the music to do it imo.

They are both very capable machines, neither one definitively having better SQ, but I preferred the CD player.

3 Likes

Did you compare with a bit perfect ripped CD on a USB stick into the NDX2 ?

Very interesting result.

How was the NDX2 fed?

@igel and @JimDog

NDX2 was fed by Qobuz, NAS drive with all my cds ripped via dbpoweramp, and via a usb stick.

CD player was fed by CD’s.

@Igel, don’t worry about my findings. They are mine and for me only. Your findings, different though they are, are equally valid for you.

1 Like

Hi Graeme

I take it from your profile that you did not keep the NDX2.

Did you hear much difference in SQ between Qobuz, NAS rips and USB stick?

Thanks
Jim

No problem, I’m just surprised,yes as always it´s just opinions.

The NDX2 belonged to a friend who kindly brought it my house to do tha A/B comparison. I did not consequently order one, preferring to stick with my CDS2.

There is never very much difference in these things but yes. In order of preference:
Qobuz
USB stick
NAS drive

Starting with the NAS. I have hard wired my whole house as a diy job. I used everyday cat6 cable, via a Cisco switch (non managed). It works but I can’t vouch for the quality of it.
A USB stick bypasses all that wiring and feeds the unit directly and imo slightly improves the sound.
Qobuz won. I think maybe because they were using better masters than my CD’s.

How much difference was there in reality? Not a lot.

Please bear in mind, my friend and I did not do this scientifically. No blind or double blind testing, just a couple of mates trying things out.

HTH

3 Likes

Hmm, “need” is an interesting statement. My first streamer setup (ND5XS fed from ripped CDs held on a cheap NAS via a cheap switch using basic Cat 5 patch cords sounded pretty much the same as my outgoing CD player, though that wasn’t a Naim (Shearne Audio Phase 7), at probably about price parity, but I didn’t do direct A-B. comparisons. And streaming does not have to be across a network, thus avoiding some of the variables like switches, their power supplies, and ethernet cables.

An unusual result, but one which does not make me want to rush out and buy a NAS (especially as we both have a 52 and 135s into vintage Naim speakers).

The comparison of rips from your CDs vs your CDs is most telling about the difference between the components - whereas, as you say, the versions are usually different when comparing CDs or rips to Qobuz.

In all fairness the NAS is for my Nova and Muso QB, and it does a great job. I do think there are better solutions to ripping for better SQ than a simple NAS drive though. Naim’s own Core, and Melco come to mind, but I know nothing of them from personal experience.

1 Like

My experience is on local UPNP to a local NAS via a CAT6E/CAT7 environment is;

CDS3/XPS2 (non DR) beats a bare NDX
NDS/555PS(DR) beats a CDS3/XPS2 (non DR)

Probably no surprise there in terms of PSU cost differences so possibly not much help in terms of the O/P post question.

Ironically I still own the NDS/555PS(DR)/CDS3/XPS2(non DR)/NDX but have not been curious to A/B the various potential combos.

2 Likes

If this is interesting you need to compare a specific cd to your own specific cd rip. Not ideal but at least you know the source is the same.
Claus

1 Like

In our active system the HDX/nDac/555 was as good but slightly different to CDS2/XPS. It was more powerful sounding but the CDS2 sounded more dare I say like a record player.

3 Likes

Yes, those were my thoughts exactly when I first got a CDS2. The thing to have in mind is that these different sources have different characteristics and the CDS2 is a bit special. Other Naim sources may sound technically better but the CDS2 has real character.

2 Likes

Interesting thread, but unfortunately has got my old brain scrambled a bit today. I tried feeding my SSD via USB to my streamer earlier after reading this and couldn’t tell too much difference between that and Qobuz, which reading around I think sounds generally typical. I also read that you can get improvement from Melco type hard drives for instance but that comes at a price. I haven’t looked at these kind of devices before - are they the ultimate digital source? What is it that sets them apart?

I think you’re absolutely right @Dan_M For me, it is a character that only a decent turntable can rival.

I also had active system at that time Linn Kan 4xNap 135 :slight_smile: I thought that the original CDS sounded more analogue than CDS2,when I had them.

1 Like

I agree with that we have had CDS1,2,3 and X2.2 and the CDS1 was the best!

1 Like