Which NAS

Thank you all for your input and thank you Steve! Steve I will see you on Saturday!

ā€¦ or an Audiostore music server. Several of us have the Audiostore Prestige, though they do have less expensive models as well.

2 Likes

And just one final thing.
I use Itunes to rip to ALAC.
Its free and the album art is embedded in the albums.

But yes to a Synology NAS ( 218+ here) and Asset or Minimserver also. And just keep the NAS on the network out of your listening room. The streamer will find it!

Why ??
If youā€™re concerned about noise, OK, but my DS214 in a small cabinet is silent in the room.

My nas sits next to my pc. I donā€™t consider it part of my audio gear just a piece of IT. To be fair it doesnā€™t make much noise.
Does that mean that others do keep their nas near their streamers?

If it is exclusively for hifi, I would buy a fanlesss QNAP with Minimserver or Asset. Minimserver is perfect for classical music

OK, sensible place.
My PC has long departed these shores since retirement & it too lived in the ā€˜officeā€™ (bedroom) along with a clunky old Netgear NAS, a fax (remember those) & printer.
My streaming started after retirement & I bought a new NAS just for streaming & the obvious place was that vacated by the CD collection that was in the same room as the audio. PC is now a laptop or iPad.

+1
( im doing this for 5 years)

I was going to try that. I take it the streamer just sees a load of files? Or, if organised into folders does it see albums?

With an NDX2 you can enable server mode and itā€™ll run a fairly basic Naim UPNP server, so itā€™ll show the music based on the metadata.

1 Like

:+1:

Only downside itā€™s not seeing the cover art on the app

With the current streamers, when you view music through the Server input you will see artwork and browse by metadata.

Yes, sorry I thought @Eoink was referring to usb pen.

Server mode exposes the files to other UPnP client devices on your network. To view the files and play them on the same streamer, you donā€™t need to turn on the server.

He was.

And you say the current streamers can see the cover art trough usb pen?
( or my misunderstanding)?

Iā€™ve just stuck one of my 4TB backup drives into my Nova and enabled server mode. Iā€™m pretty sure my ND555 looks exactly the same, but Iā€™m upstairs so canā€™t check.
And I see this. Most albums on the drive are WAV.

Second image is the beginning of the artists listing, and the first is the listing of the ABBA albums. :grinning:

4 Likes

Yes, you should see that through the Server input, but you donā€™t need Server MODE turned on unless you want to see it over the network on a different streamer.

1 Like

Thanks Chris, I always forget that.

I agree 100%. I went down a similar route with a 4 TB Zoneripper Max. Just put the CD in and it rips it to itā€™s hard drive. Couldnā€™t be easier. All your CDs are then on the internal drive for you to use on the Naim app.