Which of these bands did you in concert during the Sixties /Seventies?

@Alle71 - I saw Black Sabbath in May '78 at the Lewisham Odeon in South London. They weren’t very good, with Ozzy in a right old state.

It didn’t help that the support act were an obscure young bunch of Yanks called Van Halen, who comprehensively blew the Sabs off the stage.

4 Likes

Only 1 on your list
Genesis at Knebworth in June 1978
My first gig and they were superb great sound and lightshow

2 Likes

Lynyrd Synyrd supporting Ted Nugent, Soldiers Field Chicago July 1977.

1 Like

Sometime in 1979: Genesis at Hammersmith. I could be wrong those days are very blurry.

Thanks for your memories ! I have seen you were trying to see BLACK WIDOW in concert but cancelled their gig and you saw only GENTLE GIANT and SUPERTRAMP as opening acts. Well thanks to Jack Skelly website devoted to all GENTLE GIANT gigs http://ggconcerts.on-reflection.org I suppose you saw a gig played 9 October 1971 Isleworth - Borough Road College. Right ? Did you remember more of this show ? Perhaps you saved a ticket stub or something else? Or perhaps did you attend another BLACK WIDOW (cancelled), GENTLE GIANT, SUPERTRAMP gig ? Your recollections about this topic are really apprciate ! Thanks again and sorry for my curiosity !

1 Like

Amazing ! I know PFM played in England in March 1973, June 1973, August 1973 (Reading Festival), November 1973, May 1974, October 1974, November 1974, May 1975, April 1976, May 1976. In all around 60 shows, TV and Radio performance too !

Thanks ! BACK STREET CRAWLER played London - New Victoria Theatre 28 November 1975 (a recording exist of this show).

Thanks ! GENESIS played 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 June 1976 London Hammersmith Odeon and again 27, 28, 29 March 1980 and again 28, 29, 30 September 1982. Thanks again !

I saw Yes at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh in 1975. 20th April it says, the Relayer tour with Patrick Moraz

1 Like

10 July 1977 (65000 attendance)

yup sounds about right, I was visiting cousins with my Mum (she dident go to the gig!) I recall REO Speedwagon were also on the bill but cant remember the others. I was there to see Ted!

1 Like

Amended, yes that was the night.

1 Like

I saw Yes in concert at Reading festival, on 23/8/1975. They were brilliant and I remember pushing my way to the front. Spending the night in Reading station because I missed the last train, was less delightful.

I also saw them at the famous QPR concert in May 1975, they played a lot from Relayer.

Looking up the dates, i found both these concerts on YouTube. Time for some nostalgia.

AC/DC recently played to a huge arena crowd, here In Reggio Emilia. I saw them when they were relatively unknown at a BBC “In Concert” recording back in August 1975. It was clear they were going to be big, and Angus, could really be passed off as a schoolboy!

1 Like

Thanks ! BACK STREET CRAWLER played 23 November 1975 Liverpool Empire Theatre (an unofficial recording of this gig exist). Thanks again for your memories !

Sorry again for my curiosity but did you remember if all seats were removed on the floor (Standing Seats only) or not ? As I know LED ZEPPELIN gigs played in May 1975 get each time 17,000 spectators. But years later PINK FLOYD get 19,000 fans for each show there (1981). I suppose to gain 2,000 extra fans all seats on the floor were removed. Was so also for BAD COMPANY gigs in July 1977 ? Thanks again for your help and memories too !

Amazing ! Well for me QPR concert of 10 may 1975 is very special. I am a fan of QPR ! Thanks again for your memories !

It was a fully seated concert, it was just unfortunate they had placed the sound desk where our seats should have been, so we had to stand at the side of the sound desk.

1 Like

I watched an AC/DC documentary recently in which they told of playing a gig in Swansea in the mid 70’s - hopefully I’ve got this right:
Apparently only about 5 people in the audience…
They still did the whole show and rocked it as they would for a sell out venue.
Afterwards they found that the attendees were all competition winners and did not know who the band were - but they went home big fans.
great story…

1 Like

CRAWLER played in Liverpool - Erics 3 October 1978. Thanks again !

1 Like

Yes that must have been the gig: although I couldn’t gave named the college it was in that area. As for date I couldn’t remember and would have guessed a few months later, but everything else fits. I don’t remember much detail:

Supertramp were effectively GG’s support - IIRC I had heard of them, otherwise I doubt I’d have remembered that they played (I don’t remember most support bands), however I don’t know how I’d heard of them as I knew nothing of their music at that time. They didn’t make any particular impression on me, positive or negative.

Gentle Giant I already liked, certainly having had their first album for some time, and probably their second by then, so I had been looking forward to them as support. I was standing about 2m in front of the vibraphone position - and had never realised how big those things are! It was fascinating watching Kerry Minnear (I assume) playing. I don’t really remember what they played, but that early in their career it was probably most of their first two albums!

I was very disappointed that Black Widow didn’t play, as I’d been looking forward to seeing them for a long time, Sacrifice having been a particular favourite album of mine. Sadly I never did see them.