Which Spendor Speakers for Nait 5si?

Hello Mahesh ,

I hope you find most of this useful , like any conversation these threads can “meander” off stream

Personally I would try and keep within the price ranges that are equivalent of the kit you are trying to match them with.

Best wishes

A good loudspeaker is a good loudspeaker. The Nait 5si is Naim’s entry level amp but still is a good amplifier and will sound better with D7s than it would with lesser loudspeakers. Simple.

5 Likes

I owned a pair of D7s and they were dull. Really dull. That was with a 282/300 system. They worked well in my room, but failed to excite pretty much all genres. I’ve yet to hear a pair of Spendors that don’t follow the limp, lifeless, albeit smooth, character. The Naim sound is propulsive, exciting and wide. Spendor loudspeakers do not match. For me.

Ps. i’m trying to be as objective and factual as possible wherever i can, since i know there is a surplus of subjective opinions on the forums as well. So if you feel that something i write is not correct or needs fact checking, i always welcome feedback since i’m obviously not infallible, and i’m not looking to ‘win’ a discussion based on incorrect facts.

Thanks!

I’m a Spendor fan boy and run A5’s and D9.2’s at the mo. Neither would be my choice with my Nait 5i. Whatever their specs they need a little bit of driving to get the best from them. On the other hand both the Nait 2 and the Nait 5i make the best of the Kans. I think you are going to need to hear your possibles with your Nait in your setting.

I think you are offering your opinions as objective fact and this could affect the OPs decision making process and is unfair to them.

We are all so different, and that’s what makes things fun. To me, the A5 is the most unbelievably awful speaker, fit only for the skip. And I’d question the idea that that the Nait 2 or the 5i get the best from Kans; rather I’d suggest that you’ve not heard what Kans can do unless you’ve paired them with a 250 or 135s. That’s why it’s so important for people to try these things for themselves. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong.

One thing I would contest - suggested by cat345 - is that sticking a better speaker on a given amplifier will automatically give a better sound. It may but it may not. System matching is just so important.

Interesting to say the least. You’re the first I’ve personally seen or heard comment in this manner. Goes to show rooms, perceptions and who knows what other factors at hand that make our experiences inconsistent make (a) difference(s). Other Spendors I couldn’t agree more, but the D7 or D9…feels like a different brand or a major departure from what historically has defined them.
Thanks for the insight.

Naim n-SATs or Arivas are the ideal speakers for a NAIT 5SI.

If sticking with Spendor then it maybe worth trying their compact A2 floor-standers.

2 Likes

I believe a brand know for certain sound qualities (which you’ve intimated) can’t drastically depart from that signature. Sidestep, maybe. I agree that the D7’s are certainly more dynamic that their predecessors. But that fug of dull still hung about in my sitting room.

If you take a manufacturer such as Neat, or ProAc, they just ‘fit’ in both actual sound and ethos with Naim. I just never got that sense with Spendor.

Of course, as everyone keeps pressing, demo and personal ear are key. But I’d sooner get a pair of ProAc DT8s every minute of the week*

*as an alternative to D7s

1 Like

Yes. I am aware that we have different views here but having now tried the various combinations with the 252/SCDR and 300DR I find my love for the Spendors has not diminished, nor my appreciation of how open and clear the Kans are… Of course you are correct in that we all have an ear for something that pleases us, and we all have different room conditions to play with. Where we do agree I think, is that speakers must be tried in situ with your own system and setting.

Fit for the skip. :rofl:

1 Like

Yes I know @anon4489532 I have always had a different view on this matter. It’s ok and to each his own! :upside_down_face:

Exactly. We can all have different views and that’s great. It’s particularly good that we can express them and not fall out, as so frequently seems to happen. In this case I think it’s particularly hard for the OP as listening to options won’t be as easy as it is in the U.K. I’m able to borrow stuff, take it home and play around at my leisure, as I expect many others are. The most important thing is to end up with a combination of source, amplifier and speakers that work well together.

You make a good point re the demo or not culture that allows for the UK in particular to have access to good quality dealers and demo facilities, or to set up demo’s at home. Even here in France such things are few and far between. The problem has been compounded in the last 20 months or so with travel restrictions and difficulties to even get to a showroom.

Similarly, when you write:

You are stating this as an objective fact, which it isn’t, and is equally unfair to the OP.

I personally see no reason why OP wouldn’t be able to enjoy a pair of D7’s with a less than 250DR or 300DR amplifier. It might not bring out the speakers’ full potential, but that is something different than an ‘unenjoyable listening experience’.

If he has the chance he could simply try it out, but he shouldn’t be scared into not trying because people here are telling him it will sound sh*t by definition. That’s just nonsense.

2 Likes

Update:
I ended up buying a pair of used Spendor A4s after getting a chance to audition them at my home. I’ve had them for a little over a month, and am happy to report that i love the sound even on my Nait 5si. They sound noticably better than my KEF Q500 in all aspects. Before buying it, I did try to get a home audition for a new pair of A4s but the local dealer said they offer such services. Anyway, glad i saved some money in the end buying used, which i could potentially use in future to upgrade to either a new nait xs3 or a used supernait 2. Thanks to all for your suggestions!

4 Likes

Congratulations nice speakers, I really like the Spendor sound, enjoy.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.