Which switch?

There are many people who have opposing views on switches, and all I suggested was looking elsewhere. You know, get the views of those who aren’t on this forum. If that’s wrong, then wow, what a place.

I was surprised by the impact different switches had on my system. I therefore did spend quite a lot of effort in finding the “best”. Same with the ethernet cable from switch to streamer. For a year I did use Melco S100 with Ferrum Hypsos PS and Esprit Aura cable. The Adot mediaconverter did also see service before the Melco.

But now I have found something better!

While Melco sounds “great” the Nordost Qnet sounds “right” and the Nordost Valhalla 2 ethernet cable is better than Esprit Aura. It turned out to be a very expensive upgrade since the sound improved further with the addition of a Nordost Qsource PS and a god power cable but worthwhile in a high resolution top-end system in my view. Sorting out the path of the bits up to the dac/streamer may be more important then the dac/streamer itself…a bit like the importance of turntable/ps/tonearm vs cartridge in the Linn world.

4 Likes

I have had the switch in the system for about a week or two now so I circumvented it. I had to use a cat snake to do this since the Neotech Ethernet cable is to short. So 2 changes. Anyway the difference is quite marked. Sound becomes thinner and with more disturbing etches. Soundstage is flatter and all in all it’s a more difficult sound to handle. It’s not bad. I have lives with this sound for years and love it but with the switch it’s better, cleaner and smoother. On occasion I kind of missed some of the rawness without the switch but the fuller sound with the switch is really quite good.

1 Like

Is it SOtM sNH-10G you use? With the included psu? Personally I’m using EE8. Thinking about upgrading the ifi ipowerx supply to a linear power supply.

Yes that is the one.

1 Like

FWIW, I tried that ifi supply with the EE8 and found it highlighted an unpleasant ‘edge’ to some recordings.

The Silent Angel Forester F1 is a much better match ime.

G

1 Like

I’ve also looked at Keces P3 as an option.

I experimented with various cisco switches and found the PD switches with external SMPS using POE with the final switch to the streamer to be the best for SQ and lowering the noise floor. A great option for those who don’t want to fuss with “hifi” switches.

1 Like