Which whisky are you drinking and why someone else might enjoy it?

Hi Steve, any of the Ben Bracken malts are worthwhile, currently enjoying the Highland ( thanks @dave-marshall ) and it’s not too shabby up against the Smiths Glenlivet :+1::tumbler_glass::tumbler_glass:

7 Likes

Thanks Alan, that’s good to know. I haven’t had a chance to get back to Lidl’s yet and pick up a couple of bottles of red and blue, hopefully on Wednesday :crossed_fingers:t2: Cheers :tumbler_glass: :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

I’d go with a fairly safe option, depending massively on price.

At the budget end, I find Famous Grouse or Jamesons very palatable. Moving up, a Glenfiddich or Glenmorangie. Cardhu if on offer. Then the Macallans, but at a hugely inflated price for what it is.

There are hundreds of other excellent Malts, but they tend to become more differentiated and differing people like different ones.

My tuppence worth!

Mark

1 Like

Just moved into, I hope, my final house. No music yet beyond a MuSo QB2 via bluetooth from my iphone as there’s no network and the main system is still boxed up.
The whisky was a retirement gift from the summer of 2020 but this seemed like a good excuse to open it. Nice and peaty but well balanced.

11 Likes

Balvenie 14 yo Caribbean Cask

I am a novice to malt whisky. A naim forum member recommended this as a goodbeginners malt.
It is very smooth and round in the mouth. It finishes almost sweet. Very nice.

13 Likes

Knockando signatory Vintage 2007
Another very smooth whisky. I can see why whisky malts are popular.

8 Likes

Ordering another bottle now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: can’t take the chance of it being sold out! Might buy two just to be safe

12 Likes

One of my new favorites. Blue Run high rye bourbon. 111 proof, but doesn’t feel that high. Absolutely gobsmacked by the balanced spiced and honeyed flavors.

12 Likes

On the Bourbon theme, trying this tonight by way of a change from single malts…

zb

7 Likes

Wild Turkey has really stepped up its game in the last decade or so. When I was growing up, Wild Turkey was grandad whiskey, but now they have released several better products, including the 101. Nice choice!

3 Likes

Closing the weekend with a wee dram. Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 10. A superb whisky, barbecue smokey, rich and spicy with sweet malt notes.

7 Likes

Talking of grandad…I always liked Old Grandad bourbon, across its varations. Introduced to me by Jimmy, a bartender in Las Vegas. Good stuff. Seemingly not trendy, and perhaps not the very finest (dependant on bottling), but I’d drink it willingly compared to some other more popular brands.

2 Likes

The 18 didn’t used to be extremely rare, I remember buying a bottle in Waitrose back in the 90s. It was a particularly fine drop I remember.

Yes, a lot of those older whiskies are getting a second appraisal. Honestly, a lot of the new, trendy, aged bourbons are reportedly just sourced from barrel wholesalers that are sitting on old stocks of things like Wild Turkey, Old Grand-Dad, Barton, Ancient Age, Jim Beam, etc.

I picked this up a while back. I suspect it will put hair on your chest!

5 Likes

Beautiful. A lovely drink.

Takes me back!

I really enjoy Flor de Cana rum. It’s nicely a bit drier than most other rums.

1 Like

Seemed a fitting wee dram to take with me to Aberfeldy later this month. Very nice!

8 Likes

As it’s world whisky day I frequented my local store to treat myself to another bottle (completely unnecessary!). I picked Ledaig 18.

7 Likes

Oh, I guess that is really nice !, enjoy

Our choice this evening for World whisky day, a cask strength Glendronach…

9 Likes