Which whisky are you drinking and why someone else might enjoy it?

Also a key ingredient in some classic cocktails e.g. the Sazerac.

1 Like

Not sure if anyone is looking for some Campbelltown whisky, but there are few stores on line that have some Kilkerran and Longrow available. There must have been a recent release, but be quick.

I’ve just picked up a Longrow and Kilkerran Heavily Peated Batch #7

1 Like

Ta, Lar. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Find any?

A mate reckons he’s captured a bottle of the Peated, and is going to wrap it up as a Chrissy prezzie pour moi … … … that’s what friends are for! :smile: :+1:

2 Likes

A visit to Master of Malt to pickup another Glenmorangie 18yr Extremely Rare… beautiful dram that one but also… for a change, picked up a Bunnahabhain 12 Year Old single malt.

I have to say it’s rather nice. Quite a nutty and dried fruits aroma and flavour to it. Seems to have a lot going on with it!

16 Likes

Almost forgot… a wee dram of 12yr old Aberfeldy on the house!

They must have known I was looking to get this one… sneaky lot those Masters of Malt people :joy:

9 Likes

Nice touch.

1 Like

Back home in Milan finally.

12 Likes

An old favourite:

14 Likes

Would like to hear your thoughts on the Talisker Skye…. It received mixed reviews at Masters of Malt and wasn’t sure whether to try it / add it to the wish list!! In the past, I’ve always enjoyed whisky from Talisker!

I might just have to give it a whirl!

1 Like

Useful for making cocktails. A Sazerac is the obvious one as someone said earlier. I’ve generally avoided drinking it on its own.

I’ve had French absinthe, which was great, and a cheap Slovakian version which was less so. Is that a local variety?

Sazerac is obviously used for its eponymous cocktail but is very nice on its own. A bit spicier but not harsh

It’s locally made, the guy that makes a are good small batch whiskey.

You could make a nice Aussie style Sazerac

1 Like

It’s not especially complex, and doesn’t have huge length, but it tastes great and is warmingly enjoyable.

2 Likes

ummm…cheers, I’ll check out the local Co-op who are selling it for £27!

Think he meant the whisky…….

4 Likes

Lol :rofl:

Not sure why, but I don’t think I’ve posted in this thread before, despite fairly regular imbibing. Maybe I simply haven’t noticed it in the latest threads when I’ve had a glass in hand…

In terms of whisky I only drink malt whisky - and that has been the case since I was about 16 and discovered that Glenfiddich and Glen Grant - the only two malts commonly available in pubs in West London suburbs around 1970 - were so much smoother and nicer than the range of standard “Scotches” on offer (Grants, Haig, Teachers, Johnnie Walker (Red or Black Label) etc). Over the years my preference generally has focussed on Highland and Island malts, peaty and or smoky generally preferred, though there’s no such thing as a bad malt Scotch Whisky as long as it has been matured long enough…

This year for the first time I visited Islay, and of course that meant a few distilleries (Port Charlotte/Bruichladdich, Kilchomam, Bowmore, Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Lagavulin) and got in a fair few tastings! Have to go back another time to visit the other distilleries,

At the Lagavulin distillery, after the cellar visit/tasting I was perusing the various malts in their shop, and they had some from Caol Isla, whose distillery was closed when we were there. One of the bottles (all too many my wife thinks!) that I bought. And am drinking as I draft this, is this:

Caol Isla 15 yr old unpeated.

A rarity as an unpeated Islay malt, it is remarkably smooth for its almost 60% ABV, and has a depth of flavour that surprises given the absence of peat. I rather like it, and would certainly buy again. Slàinte mhath!

17 Likes