Which whisky are you drinking and why someone else might enjoy it?

Looking forward to trying this one later.

10 Likes

I just looked up the distillery and their current offerings and the 16 yr is the one. The bottle I photographed above was bottled in 2007 so 16 yr old is most likely the same one now we’re in 2023! Thanks for that!!

And for @Deeg , that will also go on my buy list! Cheers :+1:t2:

1 Like

Before my doctors stopped me from drinking alcohol, Springbank was always my malt tipple of choice. It was sometimes surprisingly hard to find, but always worth the effort and, generally, the older the better, although prices could rise very sharply for the older iterations.

2 Likes

I didn’t know they had distillery there I thought it was just the golf course. Interested to know what you think of it?

The Scotch Malt Whisky Society is a members’ club, which buys in whole casks of whiskies from distilleries, then bottles the whisky, at cask strength and unfiltered, and sells bottles to the Members. They have their Members’ Rooms in the port of Leith in Edinburgh, where much of ‘Transpotting’ was filmed. They also have a Members’ Room in Clerkenwell in London, and maybe rooms in NewYork and Tokyo. I was one of the original Members, but gave up my membership when I gave up booze.

The deal that the SMWS has with distilleries is that they will not name the distilleries on their (green) bottles, so that they are not seen to be competing with the distilleries’ own sales to the public. So each distillery has its unique code number shown on the bottle, and each new bottling from the distillery has a new cask number. The SMWS gives members a sheet listing the number of each distillery, and each subsequent bottling from that distillery has the next sequential cask number.

It’s a fantastic way to get some lovely, hard-to-find whiskies. The prices can be quite high for rare and old malts, but the club is Members-owned and aims to cover its costs and upkeep, rather than generate huge profits.

Fill your boots, boys and girls!

1 Like

You’re welcome! I’ve been a member of the Society since the mid 90s. Never tried Dailuaine, though I’m now curious.

Their whiskies cost a bit more, but they’re usually cask strength, so you get around 50% more for your money. Here in the US, all the familiar whiskies have gone up a lot in the last couple of decades, so the SMWS bottlings can be quite good value, though some of the higher end ones now have dizzying price tags, way higher than I ever saw back in the day.

1 Like

They also have Members’ Rooms in Glasgow and Queen Street in Edinburgh now. The latter has a public whisky bar too so any forumite whisky enthusiasts on a trip to Edinburgh would definitely enjoy a visit to sample their extensive wares.

You’re absolutely right about the Queen Street place, set in a very elegant Georgian townhouse. How could I forget that? I think that it was still Members only when I was last there several years ago.

I think that the ‘Members only’ rules had to do with laws on sales of alcohol to the public, so they must have found a way round that.

Hi Steve – I must admit I’m not a whisky connoisseur but I do like a sit down on a weekend, usually with a glass of Laphroaig to accompany some good tunes. We’ve been watching the Hairy Bikers Go Local series and Kingsbarns were one of the suppliers when they were filming in Fife. Luckily Mrs_n took the hint and bought me a bottle to try. Will report back as family scuppered plans yesterday.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to answer, James. Kingsbarns is a place I occasionally play golf and pass through when going to Crail or doing the East Neuk route for a drive along the coast road and taking in some fine food on the way. So I’ll drop into their distillery next time thanks for the heads up.

Two new additions… one as a result of the help I received here… cheers (Dailuaine 16yr) and the other out of curiosity (Angels Envy).

Angels Envy is my first Bourbon and while it doesn’t have the complexity of the single malt is a very enjoyable dram!

The Dailuaine 16 is a very nice Single Malt. A smidgen of water, 3 drops, opens it up lovely :blush:

Two very nice additions :+1:t2:

10 Likes

What a coincidence! As I am sipping a dram of Angels Envy, I click on this thread and see your picture!

2 Likes

I can’t quite make out the print on the bottle of the ‘Angels Envy’, but I assume it is Kentucky’s finest.

(I spent many an interesting day in dear old Louisville many years ago.

1 Like

Close … it says Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. It makes for a very pleasant change. Very smooth!

I am asking myself the question „Why do I post more pictures of bottles and drinks here than photos of album artwork or equipment?“
While am am seeking for a proper answer I have another sip of this outstanding „Arran“.

Cheers, Cheerio and Prost, guys!

15 Likes

My brother bought me a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 yr for Christmas. Easy to dismiss Glenfiddich as mainstream but have to say it is just delightful

6 Likes

I am enyoying this. It is actually a very nice rhum for what you pay. El Dorado 15.

5 Likes

Got a nice delivery today of whiskies from one of my favourite regions - Campbeltown…

strategic stocks topped up and shelves replenished…Campbeltown corner now looking like this…

:tumbler_glass:

17 Likes

Campbeltown whiskys are pretty rare here in Quebec but i have been able to buy a GlenScotia double cask and a Kilkerran 16 years. Will post a picture of when i receive them.

3 Likes

Nice…

Kilkerran 16 is very good, and so is the Glen Scotia…infact they are all very good…and different in their own ways, however they all seem to have that Campbeltown oily saltiness character in varying degrees, more so with Springbanks …pure nectar IMHO.

Let us all know what you think of them after you try them.

(Springbank is pretty rare over here as well…its’ very rare you see any in shops/online).

:tumbler_glass:

1 Like