Which whisky are you drinking and why someone else might enjoy it?

Nice for every day, I have some Black Grouse in a decanter at the moment :+1:

1 Like

I haven’t seen Black Grouse here (Florida), but that sounds tempting.

It is, the normal blend is combined with selected peaty malts,creating a rich dark russet whisky with a soft,smoky nose and sweetness on the palate.

1 Like

That would hit the spot right about now, despite (or because of) the fact that I’m at work!

1 Like

Since we are on the subject of single malts, maybe somebody out there could give me some advise…back in the early 80’s my favourite was plain old Glenmorangie but in those days it was completely different. It actually had an orange/citrus overtone which was very pronounced and totally unique, nothing quite like it. Back in the 90’s they moved the distillery to another location tall stills and all…since then it’s never been the same and that orangie magic is missing. I know they do really expensive versions now and probably some are still from that original batch, any ideas if any reasonable similar ones are still available?

1 Like

Gorgeous whisky @fog.

Have you tried any of the other Suntory whiskies? Hakashu and Yamazaki are great, but Hibiki 17 is the finest whisky I have ever tried - it goes for silly prices now so is unaffordable for me.

Because of a long-term decline in domestic sales, quickly followed by a surge in demand from abroad (particularly the US and UK), Suntory just haven’t made enough, so they’ve withdrawn their age-statement whiskies and there’s likely to be none for sale outside of the collector’s market until well into the 2020s. A real shame - although Hibiki Harmony will continue to be available and enjoyed…

5 Likes

Try calling the distillery, Steve. I’ve dealt with them before, and found them to be lovely, helpful folk.

I haven’t tried Hibiki 17, but high demand can be a problem for smaller Scots distilleries too. When Not-That-Michael Jackson was still with us and writing about whisky, he was urged by his publisher to name his all-time favourite. A sensible man of excellent taste, he chose Lagavulin – and things went bonkers. By its very nature, Lagavulin couldn’t simply ramp up supply. Prices doubled, seemingly overnight.

2 Likes

@bhoyo I love Lagavulin 16 too, and I remember when MJ made that statement, and prices did get silly for a while.

Lagavulin is now owned by Diageo, the world’s biggest drinks company (it sits within Diageo Reserve, the company’s premium brands portfolio), so I believe they are now able to keep up with demand quite easily, though it’s still about £50 for 70cl.

3 Likes

family

5 Likes

Lower prices? I’ll drink to that. It’s now about $68 here, which is down from a high of $90+ not so long ago.

1 Like

I particularly like Dalwhinnie, Oban, Macallan. Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, and Glenlivet and Balvenie are perfectly adequate for my taste. I can drink Caol Ila and Springbank but not for long. The heavier Islays are a little more than I can enjoy; I don’t turn them down, but I don’t seek them out either.

2 Likes

Perhaps @Rod_Smith could comment on the use of sherry barrels in whisky maturation?
I note my preference for such whisky… notably the Macallan

Used Sherry barrels have long been prized for maturing whisky, although I’m not quite sure how it came about.

Spirits are usually matured in used oak. If you put them in new barrels, the spirit tends to leech harsh compounds from the wood (whereas if you put wine in a new barrel the wood tends to absorb harsh tannins from the wine). At the least distilleries season their barrels with water considerably to avoid this (sometimes just leaving them out in the rain), but using barrels that have previously held a wine (or other spirit) which which then gently augments the spirit’s flavour makes sense.

I know that Macallan favours used Sherry barrels (by convention 600L American oak), and Glenmorangie (rhymes with orangey) make a series of different ‘cask conditioned’ whiskies (or at least they used to), including one from barrels from Château d’Yquem in Sauternes, which must alter and sweeten the flavour considerably I would think.

2 Likes

Sherry butts cost distilleries something like ten times the price of ex-bourbon casks. Under Roosevelt’s ‘New Deal,’ in order to create jobs and stimulate the economy, American whiskey makers’ were permitted to use their oak casks only once. Much of Scotland’s whisky is matured in ex-bourbon casks, as sherry casks are very costly. Rod is right that Macallan uses exclusively sherry casks to mature its whisky (one reason why it’s so expensive). The U.S. from time to time talks about reforming the law to allow bourbon casks to be re-used, which would present a major headache for Scottish distilleries.

3 Likes

Thanks @Rod_Smith for your informed and interesting comments

The use of Sherry barrels came about because in the 18th century Sherry and Rum were the preferred tipple in Scotland. When the Whisky industry started to expand around this time, due to Scotland having no domestic forrests, Sherry, Rum and Wine casks were utilised as these had already been landed probably in Glasgow and Edinburgh.

3 Likes

And right you are!

1 Like

Glemorangie The Lasanta.

Another favourite of mine, extra matured in Spanish sherry casks. :yum:

5 Likes

In an effort to minimise my spirit intake, I don’t often drink Whisky these days, mostly only when I’m north of the border, and only very rarely when down south - usually in the company of Whisky loving friends. When I do drink Whisky it’s always neat, and usually Lagavulin, or if on holiday on the west coast, The Macallan 18YO or Laphroaig. A quick look in the drinks cupboard and it looks like the current open bottle is indeed Lagavulin 16YO. However, I also rather like Highland Park, Dalwhinnie and The Balvenie.

3 Likes