Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

One wine I know from Waitrose is the Marchese Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva Tignanello, at £35 it isn’t cheap, but it is a fantastic wine, a taste of a babyTignanello at a third of the price. I picked up a few from a local merchant, still very young, good to drink with a few hours of air, and lots of agine potential.

More of the 2012 Chateau Courac, this time with some lamb steaks. Very tasty - well worth the wait for the SO to arrive.

1 Like

Another day and another bottle. This time a 2013 Beaumes de Venise, Le paradou. A casual supper of roast pepper tortellini followed by cheese, then home made ice cream (strawberry and balsamic vinegar, but no black pepper this time). May be a film on the box or more music.
It is recommended that this wine should be drunk young; there was a little sediment when decanted, but it still had a very purple hue and there were berry notes with some spice on the nose and palette (cedar perhaps?).

2 Likes

Great to hear Rod. May there be many more memorable bottles

2 Likes

The Le Mesnil Grand Cru Blanc de Blanc 2009 is excellent. Collected this morning and opened later. Lovely bready notes well balanced and superb summer drinking

1 Like

4 Likes

Jancis Robinson said in 2014 that the Trimbach Riesling 2011 Alsace is a “super-crisp with real energy and a suggestion of green fruit but, unlike other 2011 Trimbach Rieslings, is ready to enjoy already – or any time over the next three years. (Not bad longevity for such a relatively inexpensive wine.) It is widely available and is one of those wines you can often find on (genuine) special offer. The current best price in the UK is at The Wine Society but it can be found for less than this from a very wide range of European and American retailers.

Anne Trimbach tells me (JR) the fruit came mainly from the higher Haut Rhin département, from St-Hippolyte to Thann, ‘and a secret spot in Scherwiller (north of where we are). Mostly grapes from the, so to say, beginning of the hills, not the plaine of Alsace. Mostly grapes around Ribeauvillé area where we have the ability to keep a very nice freshness, even in 2011, for 2011 was relatively warm all season, with higher alcohol to be honest, but still nice balance thanks to the nice acidity from the area.’”

Well for me this is an ideal aperitif, there is enough acid to drink with some charcuterie, or by itself. It tastes quite simply of green apples with a hint of those petrol notes on the nose.

4 Likes

All this cricket requires a red wine … something quaffable.
This is a rather thin, but almost refreshing claret - definitely an everyday wine.
A super over - I need something stronger!

an amazing afternoon. Lovely 2012 spatlese for lunch then Lismore Syrah for dinner. Had to open this after an amazing super over

4 Likes

I have fond memories of a holiday in Alsace, including a visit to Trimbach, and a few other wineries. However hard I try, I cannot warm to Riesling wines, though. An Alsace Pinot Gris, on the other hand, always seems to hit the spot.

1 Like

It’s been on ice for time :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Torres Vina Sol. I paid full price for this in the face of so many other deals at my girlfriend’s Tesco Express, and not disappointed. Just so drinkable.

Medium weight and fresh, nice finish. Made me wonder how I had managed to overlook it for so long.

2 Likes

Huw, Anyone, I’ve looked at what you have written. My friend has just received half a case (which she ordered) of long thin bottles of yellow label stuff with names like Hugel 2014 Riesling, younger Pinot Gris, some Gewurtz etc (not all Hugel, I add). Should I be pleased?

My tastes are for Macon-Villages, Gavi, TTD Languedoc from Sainsbury’s, Albarino, that Triade white I get in Waitrose on special, Chablis for when we are living it large. Will there ever be a meeting of palates as well as minds? (Serious question).

I should have said we both like Picpoul de Pinet and New World Sauvignons. But she won’t have anything to do with chardonnays (from anywhere) or Sancere.

I’d be pretty excited. Alsace wines are lovely, usually with a backbone of acidity and stony flavours, the wines are often perfumed on the nose, and can be anything from crisp to very rich. Top makers create excellent wines, with Hugel in the box I’d say you’ve got good makers, so I’d expect some very good drinking, enjoy the dry Rieslings.

2 Likes

Davida. From the local Co-op at £8. Nice everyday drop. Soft and fruity with a peppery bite. Sulphite free.
It’s quite warm today and maybe too much for this wine. I’ll pop it in the fridge later to bring it down to 10/12 which should add a bit more taste and texture.
Should go well with some little pork chops when I roast them up later.

1 Like

If you are new to Alsatian wines then Hugel is a good place to start.
I would be very happy for a mixed case to land on my doorstep - it’s a great opportunity to explore these wines.
In the words of Stephen Maturin: “I raise my glass to you Sir”.

1 Like

Thank you Eoin and Huw. I think I need to recognise my good fortune, and get a little out of my wine comfort zone.

Will report…

C.

It’s like discovering new music … except the subscription is higher!

1 Like

I too would be delighted if some arrived. I have a nice mixed case of 2010 Alsace rieslings etc and really looking forward to them. They are definitely food wines and will work with quite a lot of different styles. Try with Thai or maybe a medium curry as an alternative to beer. Hope you find it a worthwhile journey of exploration!

2 Likes