Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Torres Mas La Plana 2008. Fantastic Spanish Cabernet Sauvignon led wine, I drank a lot of this in the ‘90s, then somehow lost touch with it. Spotted this 5 or 6 years ago in a merchant in Ilkley and picked up 3, this is my first of the three. Warm climate Cab-driven wine, herbs and cedar covering plum and cassis on the nose, a rich palate, strong plum, blackberry, raspberry, hints of cedar, liquorice, strong tannins and acidity, white pepper and cinnamon, lovely perfume of plum and cassis lingers. Richness of a warm climate wine, but classy balance of tannin, acid and fruit, sweet fruits, but not jammy. Seriously lovely wine. Expensive, but I don’t think you’ll find a better wine at the price.

This is a lovely wine. 8years old Spanish wine Grenache/Syrah from Priorat region by Mas Martinet. Beautiful bouquet of leather and blueberries. On the palate voluptuous rich dark berry fruit pastille flavours, Not the most complex wine, but a real sophisticated fruitbomb and lovely with tonight’s spaghetti bolognaise.

This Zinfandel can only be described as DELICIOUS, I shall be buying some more .I’m not sure how readily available it is as I bought it from an excellent independent local wine retailer but I highly recommend it if you see it.

This was lovely today. 2008 Penfolds bin 128 Coonawarra Shiraz. Still has a deep colour with some brownish edges. Medium bodied and refined for an Aussie Shiraz with eucalyptus, blackberries and plums on the palate. Very svelte tannins and no hard edges. Good with Chilli Con Carne on a warm Wellington evening.

Bought en primeur and this is the first bottle from the case last evening, I’m afraid the name is a little obscured but its Potensac

Very nice, always reliable and whilst its not the bargain it was when I started drinking Potensac many years ago, for the occasional splash out bottle it is very good value (IMO)