Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

So sorry for your loss - I hope you raised a glass or three.

By the way a bottle of this arrived during the week…

Keeping it for a special occasion

6 Likes

Thank you I am, enjoy that Fifth Wave it’s definitely a great drop.

1 Like

Last of the lamb - rolled shoulder if you are asking, slow cooked (65 degree C) in a chicken brick for 8 hours with garlic and herbs. To match I dug out a Rioja. Quite light in the mouth but fruity with a hint of oak.

9 Likes

I’ve really enjoyed this 2015 Flagstone Longitude, a blend of Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Malbec. Somehow I’ve made my way through 2 cases and I’m now down to my last bottle (not all in one sitting, I should hasten to add)…

10 Likes

Gosh……that seemed like yesterday😥

1 Like

I know I’ve still had his last text but mistakenly deleted it on Friday, guess it was time to move on. Thanks @Gazza.

1 Like

This was the first wine I remembered tasting at the vineyards and ordered a dozen. That was 14 years ago and they’re all gone but this 2017 will do on a winters night.

9 Likes

I love Primitivo, but I’ve never had an Appassito one. I’ll have to look around but our selections in Canada are limited.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of many Italian wines, but I haven’t come across the term Appassito before. Appassimento, yes, but I wouldn’t know the difference. Nice, but I’ve found that they can sometimes be a bit too jammy for my taste. Ripasso, on the other hand, always seems to hit the spot.

Appassito is a new term for me too, I just took it off the bottle pic. Like you, I’ve always known it as apassimento, so I don’t know if there’s any difference between the two. I’ve usually preferred standard Valpolicella’s, but we had a Valpolicella ripasso the other day that was outstanding.
And yes I’ve also had the odd jammy appassimento, but I’ve had some very good ones as well.

My birthday recently and a present from my neighbour. Light and inoffensive.

7 Likes

Ouch!

1 Like

The neighbour or the wine Tony?

1 Like

Ha ha… no, she’s a sweetheart, really . Oh dear, now you’ll all accuse me of patronising.
I meant it won’t offend anyone’s palate especially mine.

1 Like

Message board posts don’t normally move me, but this one did. Although passing is sad, I have a feeling you picked up a bit of joy in drinking his favourite wine and remembering good times.

And your mate had fine taste in wine…

1 Like

Please don’t take this as 100% reliable, but from a quick check it seems that appassimento is a noun, whereas appassito is the past participle of the verb appassire. Therefore they seem to be the same thing.

Ahh, that makes sense. Probably should have thought of that. Now maybe I’ll sound a bit more like I know what I’m talking about, on that subject.
Thanks HH.

We bought this from the winemaker when he visited our previous campsite in Fleurie. The two villages are only a few km apart and many local winemakers make both Fleurie and Moulin À Vent. It’s a 2020, which had low yields, and it’s absolutely delicious, even from a plastic glass. Perfect for a warm evening. I’m sure @Richard.Dane would approve.

10 Likes

Flagstone was one of the first wineries that educated my wine palate when I lived in SA - my mother also became a big fan and then winemaker Bruce Jack made a number of the wines that have influenced my journey exploring interesting wines. Their location in an old dynamite factory always makes me smile

3 Likes

I’m sure most of us would approve.
Being able to get local wines is so nice. I am always quite envious of the rest of you lot, as our selection of wines in Ontario is quite limited, even though the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO) is the !argest sing!e purchaser of wines and spirits in the entire world.
I believe they limit the individual items in order to keep profits and overheads at a certain level to appease the higher-ups.