Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Sounds very acceptable to me, a wine you enjoy on a hot summer’s day , that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. Sometimes chilling means just that

Best wishes

Ian

1 Like

And that’s the thing, we as people change , mature ( or otherwise) and we think of products not changing, a product such a Marmite, Bovril or Colman’s Mustard it is important they remain the same , but wines , engineering etc as products they can evolve.

It is just our perception that sometimes remains unaltered

1 Like

What a difference a day makes …
Some fruit on the nose and more rounded on the palate. Who needs food!

2 Likes

Are you painting with it?

1 Like

What are you doing with them? Pickling?

A French friend of mine produces Creme de Noix from his. Like a sort of sweet sherry.

1 Like

Pickling indeed. Love Creme de Noix

1 Like

Yes, one of the nicest things about wine as a hobby/interest is these discoveries. Sometimes, I’ve not been thrilled with a particular wine I’ve opened for a meal, so I’ve set it aside and grabbed another bottle from the cellar which was better for that evening or meal.
Then the next night we’d try yesterdays open bottle with whatever we’re having and, lo and behold, it was excellent after sitting and airating for a day.
I buy wines in 3s or 4s usually and we’ll try one after maybe 3 years layjng down, and it’s really not great. So I wait another 2-3 years and it’s now excellent. Many people just buy these off the shelf and drink them that night and they don’t realise how good that wine could taste.

1 Like

I do prefer bottle aged wines. It’s almost the main reason I bought the cottage: cellar space.

3 Likes

Tasted this last week and it was absolutely delicious so had to take one. We will open it now and drink it later on…

Edit: what a wine! Opened and decanted two hours prior. Berry explosion, sandalwood, leather, that slightly metallic edge, … I am not very good at describing these things. It took twice as long to drink because we spent so long sniffing it in between! Probably the best wine I have ever drunk.

12 Likes

2016 Campo Prognài, Ilatium. Valpolicella superiore.

11 Likes

Am currently cooking a mushroom risotto (using porcini I gathered around the grounds here back in 2019 - dried, of course!) and have this excellent value Moillard Le Vallon Fleurie to accompany.

16 Likes

Katie Jones La Gare Carignan 2020
A recent purchase from Naked Wines, probably drunk 5 years too early for my taste.
Medium ruby colour with blue/purple rim, young colour. On the nose after 30 minutes in glass, sweet fruit (cherry) with earth, over time the fruit darkened a bit and added plums and some black pepper. Palate was similar, on first taste (2 hours in glass), sweet fruits hit the mouth, red and black cherry, medium body, no real length, good acidity, grippy tannins, black pepper spice, The fruits darken a bit and added plums over the next few hours, but otherwise no change.
I drink dry structured wines by preference, this is well balanced in that the acid and tannin are around the fruit, but the fruit for me is a bit obvious if that makes sense, nice pepper spices add some complexity. For me I’ll give my other bottle 4 years or so as I hope the fruit will darken, it lasts longer on the palate when that happens and the spices/earth integrate more. But that’s my taste, if you like tasty fruit balanced by acid/tannin it’ll be great now. I enjoyed it and drank the bottle.

11 Likes

Great lunch with an Alsace theme (extended to include Alsace varietals). The fizz was unusual - Swiss 100% Pinot Noir - abd a very acceptable Blanc de Noir. Loads of red fruit on the finish - a great pleasure. Riesling’s next and they did not disappoint at all - lots of terpenes made this easy to distinguish. The highlight for me and fellow diners was the Boxler Pinot Gris. Not had this before and still got some younger ones to try in future years. This is a mega wine - one for the ages. A real privilege.

Pinot noirs weee delightful - plenty of red fruit and a reminder of our fizz. The Trimbach austere honest wine - a real delight. Coches-Bizouard delightful and elegant. Overall a great flight.

Our final pair of Rolly Gassmann 2000 Vendange Tardives were so different. A real eye opener but both brilliant.

So, if you get any chance to drink Alsace don’t pass it up. Some as quirky as Naim :grinning:

7 Likes

I’m a great fan of Boxler wines - never been disappointed

2 Likes

My first Boxler - The Wine Society did a vertical case of 2016-2017-2018 and I thought it had to be worth a punt.

Very pleased with the this so I will put the other two away for some time now.

1 Like

We opened this last night during the bonfire of the vanities that was taking place in Westminster.

A rather good verdelho indeed. And a name open to mispronunciation especially when considering our soon to be ex-PM.

12 Likes

Very hot here in Vaucluse
36C air temp 28C pool temp .
Mini

canicule forecast for next week
We are drinking Local BiB Rosé can see the vines from the garden
We add a couple of ice cubes to each glass as do our vigneron neighbours.

3 Likes

Wallis Simpson said that “one can never be too rich or too thin”. This 1995 Alsatian Pinot Gris is bit of both.
After removing a musty looking fragile cork in 3 pieces and poured, it shows deep golden colour . It tastes of sultanas and passion fruit and rich wild honey. It then abruptly falls away with a dry sappy finish. It’s long past its best but still quite palatable.

10 Likes

It looks very odd glad it still ok.

1 Like

It’s quite acceptable to drink as I watch the All Blacks play Ireland . We’re one man down in first half and 0-10 . It’s a worry! Ireland playing very well.

2 Likes