Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Looking forward to the odd glass of rosé at our local village

this evening

2 Likes

It’s the last day here for my Sister, BiL and family who have to fly back to Canada tomorrow. I’ve cooked roast beef with roasted new potatoes (left over from a big extended family buffet lunch I hosted yesterday) and veggies. Lots of Yorkshire Puds and plenty of fresh horseradish sauce. To accompany I opened this, my last bottle of 2001 Penfolds Bin 28 Kalimna Shiraz. My heart sank as the cork disintegrated as I removed it, however, the wine was fine - indeed, sublime and wearing its 21 years in the bottle very well indeed.

14 Likes

Diana Madeline has shot up in price over past 15 years or so. Everyone I have tried has been excellent so maybe that is what the smart money has been paying for.

Wishing you well @Eoink - hoping fast track lives up to the title and you get great care and sorted quickly.

2 Likes

It’s always a worry when the cork breaks, and it’s always a relief when you find out the wines still ok.

1 Like

Looking at CellarTracker, it is saying Sangiovese but the producer website says it is a Super Tuscan blend of Sangiovese and Cabernet- hence the IGT designation. The most recent Sillano on their site seems to be 2012 though. As it is translating from Italian it may be that the 2015 is listed elsewhere. Probably quite youthful?

Thanks for that, it wasn’t like anything I’m use to but it wasn’t bad.

Up late watching the NUM/BHA game.

Interesting, I’m not surprised.

Your Australian wine recommendations have been a great help. This Sauvignon Blanc is a new discovery for us. Complex and very elegant.

3 Likes

Yes I’m sure that’s a good one William. Cullen do great wines

1 Like

What a coincidence after Richard’s recent post. Didn’t think I would be drinking NZ wines in Oz but this was a perfect accompaniment to our Australasian dinner out.

7 Likes

This is another very fine wine.
Having said that, I haven’t quite understood the diversity of prices here yet. So this might be a once-off.
We’ve been having more success with Syrah and Pinot Noir in terms of the deliciousness/value factor.

6 Likes

That’s a great Syrah from Craggy Range William

They produce excellent wines accross the board

Take care Eoin, and wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

1 Like

You are tasting through some of the top cuvées in Oz and NZ - hope the credit card not too painful later :joy: But seriously why would you not try the best you can find? The Leruwin and Cullen wines are going to be stonking so try them out. I have not had Craggy Range Syrah but Gimblett Gravels is a very reliable area and both the Central Otago & Martinborough Pinot are quite delicious though more rxoensuggan when I last tasted!

My memories of visiting Australia in 2018 are framed in the wines we enjoyed

If you end up driving to Margaret River, keep a sharp eye out. When my youngest daughter was in Aus on a 1-year Visa, they drove across the south to MR and accidentally collided with 2 Joeys on the way. I don’t know if it was dark or not.
Seems kinda sad to me. I’ve heard they can be a nuisance in some areas, but I’ve always liked kangaroos.

It’s a worry here were we live too, we try not to drive dusk to dawn if we can avoid it. You have to remind yourself not to swerve as there’s every chance you’ll end up rolling the car.

It was only the Leeuwin that was OTT pricey. The Craggy Range was $29 and the other two $25 so very good value. Thanks for the tips

Well, I guess at !east you’re already used to the danger, not that that’s any comfort. We get some deer/road issues here, but not a lot.
Newfoundland has a major problem with moose. For some reason they decided to ‘stock’ the island with moose, and now, every year the population grows to 250,000 moose and driving is very dangerous before they are culled during the hunting season. Moose can be huge …

1 Like

William not sure how long you’re in Sydney but if you’re looking for some great places to eat there’s some good choices. Depending on your budget by the Quay is (pricy) wonderfull and there’s great little fish place in Kent St (the Rocks) call Fish on the Rocks that’s worth a trip (less pricy).