Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Enjoy, we went through 6 bottles of the 2015 during the first lockdown in Spring '20. It was a challenging period, but our appreciation of wine and my confidence in home cooking benefited.

Did an interesting vintage port vertical yesterday. 2004, 2000 1996, 1994, 1992, 1974. There was so much variation between vintages it was hard to fathom what criteria determine what makes a vintage year. Ranging from nutty and sherry like to syrupy, rich and fruity. I don’t know much about port but I’ll definitely be exploring more after this experience.

9 Likes

Had this truly amazing German Chardonnay at a restaurant last night

8 Likes

I had this 2019 German Pinot noir from Julg at a restaurant last night with Guinea fowl - a match made in heaven!

10 Likes

Oscar Quevedo is a really lovely guy. (And so is his sister Claudia). It’s great to see a small family producer in somewhere as corporate-dominated as Douro breathing new life into his father’s (Oscar snr), estate. The family has been growing grapes (and making wine) for over a century, but the sales company was only founded in 1993.
Well worth a visit if you are ever in Porto.

2 Likes

Last nights wines served with rib eyes and Caesar salad. I’m still on the sidelines. The Nuits-Saint Georges was voted number 1 followed closely by the Beausejour

10 Likes

I love this wine!

7 Likes

They do make some good wines, particularly the whites.

1 Like

Made a beef stroganoff this evening from the leftover roast beef from yesterday. This went down very well indeed. It also softened the blow of the abject performance by a team masquerading as candidates for RWC glory next year.

6 Likes

Thanks, Rod. We had it with the accompanying YouTube from Oscar. He and his sister run it now, from what I could gather.

PS Don’t know when but Porto and the Douro valley will be visited!

Ok. Off the bench. Blind tasting. 6 of us. Figeac 3 votes, sassicaia 2 votes and Unico Vega 1. All fantastic. The ‘04 Roda received a popular honor mention. And the white was enjoyed by all before food served.

13 Likes

Marlborough SB Taste Off!
Hunters $15 Cloudy Bay $36
Both have green capsicum, honey suckle and passionfruit on palate. The Cloudy Bay is a bit more muted in flavour with Chardonnay-like barrel characters. Not much between them. The cheaper wine is more straight up in flavour

the CB is a bit smoother but not worth over twice as much.

10 Likes

This worked really well with our Lamb last Night
La Fleur de Bouard Lalande de Pomerol 2011 - just something right about Bordeaux and lamb

13 Likes

With Andrea in Baden.

6 Likes

Now is about the right time to drink a 2008 Barolo. I just had a 2008 last month and it was at peak. That Beaune must have been excellent, and I usually find the Spanish wines need to be older than most wines to soften to the tannins etc., as yours is. Nice group.

2 Likes

Thank you David, yes, it’s very interesting to experience how the Spanish wines evolve with time. The last wine we and our friends had before coming back to reality and returning to work was this burgundy. It was paired with a Coq au Vin. Both were delicious.

8 Likes

I’m guessing that you didn’t use that wine for cooking in the coq au vin ? :wink:

3 Likes

Ha, no, but we did use a burgundy – our friend, a Montrealer but from France, insisted that it must be a burgundy.

2 Likes

We seldom eat meat but when we cook coq au vin and boeuf bourguignon we use a cheap bag in box CDR as do most of our French friends .

3 Likes

What do the French know about coq au vin?

3 Likes