Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Whilst on the subject of Australian wine, we tasted some tawny port at the Seppeltsfield Winery (Barossa) from their “Centennial Collection”. The tasting included a 1917 vintage (100 years old), 1955 (birth year for me) and a third vintage being my wife’s birth year, (which obviously cannot be disclosed). All very rich and quite luscious …

Barrels representing every vintage since 1878 …

Some has also been laid down for more celebrated individuals than myself …

4 Likes

Nov. 2017 list for Reds from the cellar door - but I note that the Basket Press and Sparkling Shiraz prices are omitted … odd that :thinking:

1 Like

It was a very good year indeed :+1:

One of my ‘go to’ inoffensive quaffable £10 proseccos was out of stock and was recommended this by the local wine retailer:

I was dubious but gave it a shot, and it reminded me very much of a Bollinger La Grand Année though perhaps with a very slightly bitter aftertaste, all for under £20. Very, very enjoyable, now waiting for more stock to arrive.

2 Likes

Going to try this, after trying it in a Wine Tasting, a Riesling from Clare Valley, AU

1 Like

This week I have been mainly enjoying a lot (and I mean a lot) of tannin.

In Bordeaux for the Primeurs of the 2018 vintage.

5 Likes

Time to jet wash your teeth Rod. Tonight I met a friend for a drink/ dinner, when I arrived she’sd ordered a glass of Indian Shiraz. It seemed interesting, so I joined her, my first Indian wine I think, enjoyable. A bit thin and light, but nice plum notes, well worth the punt. (I think Fratelli Maharashata Shiraz was the wine, didn’t see a vintage.)
Moving on we had a bottle of 2006 Grand Puy Lacoste with a selection of light dishes, that was very lovely indeed. Still young, strong tannin spine, classic Pauillac pencil and blackcurrant, serious depth, as it spent time in decanter it opened up nicely, fruit became more “fruity”, cedar nose appeared, some earthy tannin hints appeared. Very very nice wine, tight and very enjoyable now, in 5-10 years it’ll be really beautiful.

4 Likes

Esk Valley The Terraces 2009
Malbec/Merlot/Cab Franc blend. Decanted for 30 mins, glass poured and left for another hour. After this 90 minute breathe it was still a very young wine, deep purple colour (very slight lightening at the rim), nose of creamy oak with sweet red/purple fruits, intensely powerful well balanced palate of oaky vanilla, fantastic fruits, blackcurrant, plum, sweet strawberry, some peppery spice, nice acidity, tannins are gripping strongly. Writing 2 hours later, colour unchanged, nose is still creamy with slightly darker fruits, palate has changed slightly, the oak’s still there, fruits are getting a bit more complex with more and deeper flavours, some liquorice the spices are also more sophisticated, cinnamon and others added to the pepper. It’s a lovely wine now, wonderful to drink
today.
The oak, fruit, grippy tannin and good acidity make me think it’s got at least 10 and probably 20 years to go, despite its loveliness it’s a very well structured wine with lots of power that’ll last and improve. In about another 5 or so years the oak will start to move from creaminess to cedar scents, and we’ll have superb secondary earthy flavours to back up the fruit. Despite being mainly Malbec rather than Cabernet, I see this maturing like a fine claret, it’s very classy, and from the best part of Hawkes Bay.

I drank the early vintages of Terraces when they were 5-15 years old, so in the mid-‘90s to late-‘00s, I think this is probably the first 21st century vintage I’ve had (ageing memory means I may be wrong), This is the 1st of my 2 bottles, I might pick up a few more, it’ll be great to watch this evolve, very classy wine.

7 Likes

sorry to low the tone somewhat.
Never recall ever trying Bucky, never see it on the shelves, so ordered some online along with some Cherry B.
Buckfast is strangely enjoyable when super chilled. I can see why it’s a popular refresher drank en route to the football terraces.
Cherry B. Another wine drink produced in Britain that was a popular choice for the ladies in the 70s and 80s.
Also strangely enjoyable, more so with a double shot of gin and a splash of soda.

4 Likes

Are you detecting any hints of brown paper bag or vomit on the palate?

1 Like

Lovely write up eoink. Goes to show Hawkes bay wine is coming of age. What with Bordeaux being so expensive it is nice to have a high quality alternive. Other excellent Hawkes bay reds are te mata Awatea and trinity hill gimlet gravels “The gimlet” which are not as expensive but still as good as a good cru Bourgeois. Always lovely to read your very detailed descriptions Eoink. Currently enjoying a domaine de tunnel cornas 2015 , still very young but great depth of flavour.

2 Likes

@Rod_Smith
My word Tertre Rotboeuf - only drunk it twice but so memorable (in the Alps with good friends)

François Mitjavile, the owner/proprietor of Tertre-Roteboeuf is one of the most charming, self-effacing and erudite winemakers I have ever met. He speaks French so precisely and beautifully that even someone who didn’t understand a word could derive pleasure from the liquid poetry of his voice. The wine is also, of course, fantastic. And sadly, these days, fantastically priced too (although still a bargain compared to Pavie, Angélus et al). But you can get a taste of his talent from his other property, Domaine des Cambes over in Bourg (but sold as generic ‘Bordeaux’). And the single vineyard Roc des Cambes Côtes de Bourg) The estate is run by François’ son Louis (Lou-Lou), and the wines are similar in every way other than price. Still (but for how long?) one of the best bargains in Bordeaux, not a place known for its vinous bargains. Berry Brothers have them in the UK, probably so do others. I’m privileged to say I know François well enough to be able to buy direct. Treat yourself - you won’t regret it!

2 Likes

By the way, the St Emilion estate is called ‘Tertre Roteboeuf’ (no circumflex on Rote) because when François (or rather in fact his wife Miloute) inherited, it was called simply “Tertre”, the vineyard being a magnificent amphitheatre-shaped bowl facing south east to the rising sun - perfect exposition - and exactly as at Ausone. Problem was, there were at least three other châteaux called ‘Tertre’ in Bordeaux (there are still two famous ones). One day, François was out walking when one of the cows (he farms organically) belched loudly right next to him. Alors - ‘theatre of the burping cow’, was what the property was called from then on…

4 Likes

A 1989 Vouvray Demi-sec from Domaine Pouvray - great with a stir fry of some leftover roast pork. Yet again a stunning Chenin!

3 Likes

Sounds lovely.

Just finished a blue cheese tortilla with a 2010 Chateau Talaise
https://www.thewinesociety.com/(S(kzboi4rytg3f4urlpq4uii45))/PDFWineNotes.aspx?ProductCode=CB3961

1 Like

Moonlight Race from Burn Cottage in Central Otago 2016
Cherries and burnt matches on nose indicating a bit of reduction. More cherries and some bacon notes on palate, finishing with some crisp acidity. Not the most opulent wine, needs another few years. Very good with bacon and lentil soup with Parmesan cheese.

1 Like

I like the label on that one.

3 Likes

Bordeaux 2018

I sort-of doubt that this vintage will provide a good financial investment (short term at least) but it is a great vintage (for the top properties).
But I know that some of you at least are interested in Bordeaux, and maybe en Primeur. My scores have been published on Liv-ex, if you are interested, and my full report will be published next week on Tim Atkin’s website.

Liv-ex link:
https://www.liv-ex.com/news-insights/bordeaux-2018-scores/?fbclid=IwAR00XQMaQ3XZCLpZtz4Soui4FQ5VDSA3IrDyFvXm-q2pG0gsjhAowg1r_GM

2 Likes