Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Escaping from the other expensive threads to the comfort of enjoyable midweek wines. This 2010 Donnhoff Spatlese from the Nahe is the kind of Riesling I could drink everyday. Low alcohol (8.5%) but packing great flavours and not overtly sweet. A quick bowl of king prawn tikka masala is the ideal foil.

11 Likes

Fabulous wine - one of my favourite whites!

1 Like

Not come across that, but at 8.5%, definitely a good shout for a midweek wine! I’ll see if I can find some. Thanks.

Donnhoff has to be one of my favourite winemakers. This one was from the Wine Society but I also have some from Justerini and Brookes. Ages very well too.

1 Like

My favourite German producer . Always top drawer.

1 Like

A very pleasant wine, perfect for a Friday afternoon :smiley:

7 Likes

Chris Alheit makes the very well known Cartology Chenin blend and is an ace winemaker. La Colline is a vineyard in Franschoek which has some of the best old vine semillon in the country. This bottle is absolutely stunning - beautiful golden colour, a quite unctuous mouth feel and great length. Opened to accompany a spaghetti carbonara as we got hold of some excellent gianciale from pata negra pigs.

12 Likes

11 Likes

Giesen Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc (2022) - Dillons Point

9 Likes

Today has been full of contrasts. This one has to be one of of the finest South African white blends. 2009 a great vintage. A few oxidative notes but very good indeed.

Tonight I opened this Pinotage and there was so much fresh fruit. Absolutely lush.

11 Likes

A very lovely wine after a nice meal😄

6 Likes

This went down very well with a supper of stuffed aubergines

11 Likes

Syrah-Grenache after work with a salami and chilli pizza.

Totally did the business, and at 14.5%, the usual proviso of senior management only.

Lots of rich, ripe fruit and some oak, just the way I like it. It sort of has me wondering how good would this wine be in five years time? But luckily life is for living, so if it’s this good now, why worry?!

8 Likes

Sometimes what you need after a long, cold, dark dog walk, is a glass of Madeira.*

*this sentence also works if you remove the words: ‘after a long, cold, dark dog walk’.
But, it’s even better if you don’t.

16 Likes

Madeira , a much under-rated wine, I’m not sure if it has an “image” issue , but I certainly enjoy a glass on a cold winter’s evening .

2 Likes

Let me know if you need a hand :grin:

1 Like

That’s very kind and thoughtful of you Pete. :blush:

1 Like

Felton Road “Bannockburn” Chardonnay 2021
This is already is utterly seamless and beautiful Chardonnay. Citrus, , hazelnuts and very fine oak. Gentle acidity gives it structure. I suspect this is finer that many more expensive white burgundies .

9 Likes

How funny is that IDAK

About to crack the FR 2013 Block 2

Hopefully it’s lasted the distance

9 Likes

I don’t think it’s that funny neither of you invited me. :wink:

3 Likes