Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Hope Poggione is good. We have the 2016 to look forward to.

A stunning Aussie Shiraz tonight. Old style - easy on the alcohol and ageing gracefully. All the drink by dates well passed but who cares. This would be a wine to bring to a Naim forum dinner if @Pete_the_painter joining the fray as well as our resident moderator.

8 Likes

Looks very interesting I’d be there like a rat up a drain pipe. Funny how things work out the best wine I’d ever drunk was well past its use by date left completely unattended for over 25 years till we found it under a friends house.

Bendigo it’s the first place I’d think of for a good red, cheers.

3 Likes

tasted it with our sales team on a recent visit to our offices, it was exceptional to be the finest RD since the massive RD 1996

first realease sold out, awaiting slighlt more stock in june

2 Likes

Thanks for that. Case bought on spec so I have lots to look forward to then.

2 Likes

Not very often I get to drink similar things like this back to back.

The Poggioni was starting to really show some age. Very brown in colour (as the name suggests!) and oaky in taste. Brooding. Fruit was there, but you had to look for it a bit!

The Lisini was quite different - it tasted much younger and fruit driven. Much smoother and easier to drink.

Interestingly(?) of the four of us drinking, the two men preferred the Poggioni, the two women the Lisini. I’m not suggesting it’s a male/female thing, but I would say that the two men were more “into wine” than the two women. That said, they were both very good wines imo (and luckily I still have a couple of bottles of each to go at).

We finished in the 389 which was (obviously) completely different. So much violet, Cherry, menthol. A much more modern wine, but stunningly good. We’ve had this conversation here before, but I can’t believe this wine used to be £8.99 in Tesco 15 years ago…

2 Likes

I have one bottle left of the 2002 389 - it has been a brilliant case. I just wish Penfolds had not got so stratospheric - I sold my case of 707 for twice what I paid for it. I have a recent St Henri that i was given and once that goes will probably not buy more. Similar to my experience with pricing on Henschke.

When my employers sacked me, as part of the compensation package for how they sacked me.

I bought two bottles of Penfolds Bin 707 for £50 each.

Haven’t a clue when to drink them …

What vintage ??

2002 - it’s a good one - I am told

Jancis suggests by 2025. If you need some help evaluating it, am sure there will be some hands raised.

Seriously, enjoy every drop. You earned it.

1 Like

This evening’s tipple with a mild dal. It’s my last bottle - wish I had more.

12 Likes

So, this cork was a swine. Never used the retriever before but it did a great job. The Eben Sadie 2011 Soldaat Grenache feels like it is getting to the end of its drinking window. Right now it is a thing of beauty

11 Likes

Should this be followed by my Dow’s 1970?

Oh yarbles

1 Like

2002 it most certainly another stunning vintage in Champagne

I would rate 2008 slightly higher together with 1996 - of the recent vintages to really look out for are 1990,1996,2002 & 2008

2 Likes

Luigi Baudana Barolo from Serralunga vineyard.2010
Nose of tar and orange peel. On palate dark fruit and fennel seed with smooth light tannins. Very good indeed.

12 Likes

Pretty tasty for a tenner. An organic monastrell.

Screenshot 2023-04-07 at 16.18.59

6 Likes

CellarTracker’s tasting notes for Dow 1970 suggest it is consistently delivering and the last professional review by Richard Hemming MW for Jancis gave it 20/20 - served from magnum. Sounds like you have a good time ahead of you.

2 Likes

I think I might save it for my seventieth …

2 3/4 years away

2 Likes

Sounds like a great plan, Ian. Enjoying something special like that is best shared. I hope those you share it with appreciate it as much as you.

1 Like