Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

It was an experience and fun to have these wines with some age sadly the domain has had issues with pre oxidation, but seems to be back on the right track after the change to diam corks. Does the domaine also have a hotel, or are you talking about “Olivier Leflaive”?
Personally for me Domaine Leflaive is one of the producers at the very top of Chardonnay wines in the world.

The last of 6 bottles:(

11 Likes

Haha. Yes, I didn’t realise they were different. Now I know!!

1 Like

That wine looks delicious, and the cedar hedge in the background is magnificent. Cedars don’t seem to grow like that in Canada. By the time they are anywhere close to that height, they get thin.

A sunny Bank Holiday Monday calls out for bubbles. For us it was MCC made with…… Pinotage. Yes that much maligned grape. A rather nice rose more gold than pink and quite delicious.

6 Likes

10 Likes

Well he probably should be allowed to drink ever. :grin:

1 Like

I thought it more fun to put it here than on the jokes thread

3 Likes

I’m banned from the jokes thread. :flushed:

1 Like

67 Pall Mall, a London club for wine enthusiasts usues Coravin for all of its wine by the glass. Clearly this does not work for bottles under screwcap and they have a facility in their basement where any wines under screwcap that are to be offered by the glass and corked (under argon) and can then be used safely with Coravin system.

2 Likes

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Following the recommendation of HH and CD, took a punt on this from TWS. Very nice it is too, lovely wine for a summer evening in the garden.

Don’t think I’ve ever had a Greek wine before - it’s always a thrill to try a wine from a new region.

6 Likes

You should try some Greek red’s if you like that. Jancis Robinson was writing recently in the FT that she is often asked where the most exciting new wine areas are and for the last couple of years her answer has been ‘Greece and Portugal’. TWS does v good reds ( other wine retailers are available!)

2 Likes

I have found red wine gives me palpitations and faster heart rate. So in the last few years I seldom have any and try to limit consumption.

However, recently a friend who is vegan brought some organic no added sulphur red that didn’t have the effect and was very tasty. I bought 4 red and 3 white for our Swanage trip (3 taken!) and again it had no consequences!

So am I imagining this or can the organic method with no added sulphur for preservation be better!

Phil

1 Like

Now that the Bordeaux 2022 en primeur campaign is gathering pace, I am wishing that I had not gone too big too early - some great releases coming now with amazing reviews/high scores. Don’t they know I’m trying to put money aside for a Uniti Core over here?!

Home alone tonight, so it’ll be a steak sandwich and a bottle of red. Not sure which direction to go yet. In warmer weather, I tend to prefer a Burgundy, but all this talk of Bordeaux, maybe I’ll go a little “bigger”. Hard life.

1 Like

I decided to go light this year, so far just GPL, Langoa and Labégorce. I might add Haut Batailley today, I’m thinking of La Garde, and if my usual merchant sources a second allocation of Léoville Barton I’m top of their waiting list. Just need to read Rod’s report carefully to see if there are any bargains and early drinkers (being conscious I’m 60 this year, so true vins de garde are a big gamble).

1 Like

I’m not a huge buyer by any means - I bought 12 cases (of 6) in the 2021 Bordeaux release, which was much more than usual for me. I decided to go lighter this year too - lots of other calls on cash at the moment. So far this year I have also bought Langoa as well as Feiuzal, Puyblanquet and La Croix St. Georges. My plan was to go for lesser known (cheaper!) but well reviewed wines. But then Batailly, Talbot and Puy-Lacoste were all released this week, all with great reviews and scores, all of which I have had and enjoyed in the past. Hmmm.

On your last point, 5 years or so ago when we were looking to move house, we looked around a beautiful house lived in by an older couple. My guess would be that they were in their early 70s (I was in my late 30s). There was a basement and the older chap had converted one of the rooms to a temp and humidity controlled wine cellar and it had, at a guess, about 1500 bottles in it. I asked him about it and he said that he had worked in Hong Kong most of his adult life but had been buying wine for decades (via the Wine Society). Only when he moved back to the UK (about 5 years previously) did he rationalise his collection and release the stuff that he wanted to drink. I remember thinking as I left “I hope he’s not saving the best stuff till last!”.

2 Likes

Everything you’d expect from this. Beautiful.

10 Likes

Haven’t had a Seghesio in a long time. And this is a half bottle.

6 Likes

Deadline for withdrawal of wines from Wine Society reserves before annual bill meant 13 boxes delivered by long suffering Society van driver Chris at 7:30 yesterday morning. Quite a lot of German wine and with the good weather this was a perfect BBQ red - lemberger is the German version of the blaufrankish grape seen in Austria and a light and approachable red served slightly cooler just perfect

7 Likes