Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

And with pudding, this, a sweet Valpolicella. We’ve never had it before but it was on the buy me before they throw me away shelf in Waitrose. A great discovery, because it’s delicious.

9 Likes

Because it’s Tuesday and because I’m back at home after a while overseas. Beautiful.

11 Likes

Happy anniversary Nigel.

Thanks Eoin. We will be in the cottage at Hardcastle Crags next week if you fancy dropping by. Our nephew lives in Tod and we are sure to be dropping in.

1 Like

Ah what a shame. I’m in London at the moment dealing with my mum’s estate.

1 Like

Hey ho.

And a happy anniversary from him

I do like Aglianico, it has a lovely fruity acidity to cut through rich food. The aroma is warm terroir fruit, slightly earthy. Lovely balanced fruit with the tannins on the palate. Delish

7 Likes

M&S had a clearance sale of Coppersmith pinot noir today - a bargain £4.50 a bottle.

9 Likes

Last night in South Africa after nearly 3 weeks away. Excellent dinner at Marble in Rosebank Johannesburg accompanied with two super wines. Eben Sadie doing experimental plantings of Mediterranean varietals in the Swartland to see what could be next success, both of these poured from magnum and just off the scale for enjoyment.

10 Likes

We bought a couple of bottles of this yesterday. It was from our local wine merchant, who import and mainly supply the trade, so I hoped it would be a step up from the supermarket stuff. And it certainly is, really delicious.

7 Likes

My second bottle of this and certainly improved since I first tried it over a year ago. Still quite brooding and dense, but a real punch of dark fruits and leather. Very enjoyable, but I think I’ll wait another year or so before trying again.

7 Likes

Definitely worth holding back as it is often a late developer. Interestingly it is always released a year behind the Old Vines Series wines suggesting Eben is definitely releasing wines for the long haul

Thanks. To be fair when I bought them (en primeur) the drinking window was suggested as 2024-35+. I’m clearly just very impatient!

Birthday Monday, so a wee treat! Sublime!

9 Likes

A low alcohol (11%) aligoté, bought back from Beaune as a present. Quite acidic, needs decanting, rich mouth feel, not very complex. An enjoyable aperitif.

5 Likes

Aligote only fit for Kir :wink:

3 Likes

Didn’t need it.

Any day that includes lunch at Clos des Goisses is a good day I reckon.

17 Likes

How was the 1522 Rod? Only tasted once but very impressive from what I remember.