Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Equipo Navazos 100 is a great sherry.

2 Likes

Had our son over for dinner yesterday and had these two. The Ciro from Calabria is a delicious textured wine with lots of ripe fruit, the wines from this estate are all good value. The Flaccianello was rather ethereal, slightly volatile alcohol and sour cheeries on the nose, good acidic fruit on the palate, still juicy and the tannins have softened considerably. A long finish warm with alcohol.
I always feel a bit guilty opening good bottles when it isn’t a special occasion.

12 Likes

Always remember the wise words of Lily Bollinger
*“I drink Champagne when I’m happy and when I’m sad. Sometimes I drink it when I’m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I’m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it―unless I’m thirsty.”.

13 Likes

I just received my ‘The World Atlas Of Wine’ sixth edition by Hugh Johnson and Jancis Robinson.
It’s a highly recommended 400 page Bible of wine with nicely done maps, charts and things, and put together with a knowledge base that seems quite incredible.
I got a copy of the book from the local library 6 or 7 years back and read it, cover to cover. Every page, every word, studied every map. It would have been very nice if I could have remembered absolutely all of what I read the first time around, but what I did get was an overall understanding of wine. Grape varietals where and why, regions and their differences, and just a lot of things that you are actually taking in at the time and don’t actually realize you’re memorizing until it comes up at a later time.

I shall read through it again over the next year and take in even more, this time around, most likely. It’s an enjoyable read and not as dry as one might think, but I don’t recommend reading it while sitting up in bed as the sheer weight of the book can cut off the circulation in your thighs, then your feet go numb.

6 Likes

It’s a very useful (I hesitate to use the word “handy” for something so big) tome especially if you are curious about an unfamiliar wine you find or are planning a vinous vacation. It was frequently referred to during my WSET studies during lockdown especially when revising ahead of the exam.

2 Likes

A lovely drop with long finish had with snapper during the week.
Poppies Rose from Marlborough NZ.
Interesting glass ‘cork’ too. (a bugger to open)

5 Likes

Yes, very good Ben, handy is a bit of a stretch, but as you suggest its an excellent research tool.
I personally enjoy informative and technical reading, so I will actually read it again cover to cover over a year or so, giving extra focus and time to my favorite regions and wines.
It’s nice to hear it gets used as an official and unofficial study tool and reference manual.

I was amazed that it could be had, used, for $13 cad all in, and I’m comfortable with the fact that Jancis would have gotten the original 70 or 80 CAD from the original purchaser, otherwise I would not have bought a used copy. It’s in absolutely perfect condition.
Jancis’ wine reviews are some of the few reviews that I heed these days. Many of the commercial wine reviewers must be on the take, considering the reviews they give at times.
Anyway I just love the book and certainly recommend it, at the price can be had for, to anyone and everyone who has a passion for wine.

1 Like

Beaune Premier Cru ‘Les Aigrots’ 2017 from Heritier de Baudricourt. Actually a bit underwhelming - I would be hard pressed to identify it as a PN in a blind tasting and a very thin aroma - none of the farmyard smell I love. Donated by a v kind friend. Confirms the rule about not buying Burgundy that you haven’t tasted beforehand

6 Likes

A classy Stellenbosch BDX blend on Friday night to accompany some great food at Chez Bruce. Even better, I have got another bottle planned for lunch next Thursday. Life is pretty good!

12 Likes

Catching up with friends in Marlborough NZ over the weekend. Great time.
Also visited Wither Hills, Saint Clair (lunch) and Framingham on Saturday
Bottles left to right:
Siegfried Barrique Fermented Chardonnay Nelson NZ 2020
Cristal Vintage 2014
Bollenger PN TX17
Tony Bish Heartwood Chardonnay NZ
Church Rd Grand Res Chardonnay 2020 NZ
Billecart Rose
Krug Vin 2004
Trinity Hill Chardonnay 2020 NZ
Vidal Legacy Syrah 2016 NZ
Esk Valley The Terraces 2014 NZ
The half bottles are a Man O’ War Syrah blending kit, good fun to blend your own wine from different holdings they have etc

11 Likes

A nice Sunday evening wine, quite light and fruity but enough bite to go well with the sausage and brussel sprout gnocchi made by Mrs B.

10 Likes

Excellent Rioja from Contino that appears to be a Wine Society exclusive - cannot remember buying it but quite glad to have stumbled across it when rummaging in boxes of wine. Going to be good for next few years.

15 Likes

Chateau Pouget 2008
I went out for dinner last night with my best mate to celebrate my 60th. With some beautifully cooked lamb fillet we enjoyed this immensely. Still a deep red with a small amount of bricking at rim. Nose was a lovely cassis, plum and chocolate. The palate was complex, good structure, nice acidity and those very firm 2008 tannins, leading to flavours plum and cassis and earthy notes and a hint of Margaux perfume, not violet, something darker. It was mid weight and reasonably long, really enjoyable.
I don’t know when I last had a Pouget, probably an ‘80s or ‘90s vintage drunk 20+ years ago, I’d mentally labelled it as clumsy and to avoid. This wasn’t the most sophisticated claret I’ve drunk, but as definitely a lovely drink. Most ‘08s I’m still giving an hour or two of air, this was popped and poured, a tiny bit heavy on first sip, but opened almost immediately, not one to cellar for ages, but 5 or so years of nice drinking.
Modelled by our very lovely waitress. :grinning:

13 Likes

Looks lovely @Eoink. Do you mind me asking where you ate? Fine if you’d rather not

@Eoink happy birthday hope you have a great year. I was only thinking of that dinner and wine we shared earlier this year yesterday while talking to a friend, good food, great wine and wonderful company.

Take care. :+1:

3 Likes

A very nice restaurant in East Barnet, it’s called Bramley’s, near Oakwood tube station. It was our first time there, it won’t be the last. They were very quiet being a Monday, so we were chatting to the front of house team. They have a menu which is based on the fact that they have found a supplier who delivers fresh fish every day and another who delivers beef and lamb daily, so they focus on presenting this lovely fish and meat well. The wine list isn’t big and is mainly nice looking sensibly priced wines, I was quite tempted by their Sonoma Pinot.

6 Likes

Thanks Pete. I really enjoyed the day, just a shame Ian had to get away early.

2 Likes

@eoink happy birthday. Sounds like a wonderful wine to mark your 60th milestone. I’m thinking of opening a 2008 La Fleur Petrus for Xmas. I’ll decant it for an hour or two as you suggest.

1 Like

Thanks Hugh, have a great Christmas with that lovely wine.

1 Like

Very nice hands …

1 Like