Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

As Robert Parker once said (a long time ago, in a galaxy far away):

“A good bottle of Burgundy will cost you $100.
$10 for the good one, and $90 for the rubbish you’ll have to drink before you find it.”

6 Likes

Bit thin and insipid with notes of pot noodle and car grease…

1 Like

To drink tonight with roast asparagus, sautéed jersey royals and a fried duck egg

5 Likes

Just received this from my Port supplier.

2018 Vintage Port Declaration News

Following a run of two consecutive general declarations for 2016 and 2017, it is no surprise that 2018 will be a year of exceptional Single Quinta Vintage Ports. The a surprise is that Taylors have declared a vintage, their third in a row and a fifth in a decade (there are normally three). Quinta do Noval, Sandeman, Offley and Ferreira have also declared. The Symington Family have declared Vesuvio whilst opting for SQVP from Grahams, Dows, Warres.

The 2018 Port vintage is being widely heralded, and what is certain is that the Ports produced will be exceptional quality and if releases as single quintas they will be excellent value. as the leading Port houses start to make their annual declarations. On the decision to declare Taylors, Managing Director Adrian Bridge said 'Although a Classic declaration normally only happens about three times a decade, the exceptional run of years has meant that Taylor’s is able to make a third in a row," “This is very unusual but our principle is that we only declare a Classic Vintage when the quality is there and this is dictated by the year, not by any other consideration.” Bridge added that in light of the current global situation the house would bottle in July as usual, but not offer the wines for sale until early 2021.

Symington Family Estates, made its first back-to-back general declaration last year. Winemaker Charles Symington, explained that for 2018 the decision was taken to focus on single estates, which he described as “the ultimate expression of Douro terroir”. Quantities will be small with just 965 cases of Quinta do Vesuvio and 510 cases of Dow’s Quinta da Senhora da Ribeira released this year. The other 2018 vintage Ports produced, Graham’s Quinta dos Malvedos, Dow’s Quinta do Bomfim, Warre’s Quinta da Cavadinha and Cockburn’s Quinta dos Canais, will age in the company’s cellars in Vila Nova de Gaia for future release. However Port Bond holders will receive two cases / two bottles of what will be an excellent port.

4 Likes

Weathers turned but still this is a very nice Rose. Bring back the Sun.

4 Likes

Great to enjoy Chateau Musar 2000 while watching and listening to Gaston Hochar on a Wine Society webinar. It was so enjoyable and really still very youthful. No need to decant it was quickly into its stride. Glad I have another of that vintage and now tempted to buy some younger bottles

3 Likes

You’re not doing a great job of selling that to us.

1 Like

It’s the first time Taylors have had 3 declaraions 2016,2017 & 2018

due to the current issues in the world the 2018 Ports won’t be released until 2021, style wise much bigger in power than 2017 more like the 2016 in style, the Upper douro where both of the Talyors properties were ideally placed for the weather conditions in 2018 - only 2 of the Taylors Qunita’s we used Vargellas and Terre Fieta, there is no Junco fruit in the 2018 - there is no Taylors Vinha Velha made in 2018 blended into the 2018 vintage

Fonseca has made Guimaraens a blend of the 3 Properties from Fonseca and Croft Qunita da Roeda

we are looking forward to offering them to the trade in 2021 when I hope times are better

2 Likes

Hei Antz,

In 2016 a group of friends and I visited Fonseca’s Qinta do Panascal for a 40th birthday and we stayed not far from the Quinta at The Vintage House, Pinhao.

We had a tour of the Quinta and it’s history, one of only a few Quinta pressing by foot, I believe, a Port tasting session and after, a fantastic lunch. Suffice to say we all got quite merry and even the younger kids had a great time, our hosts were very welcoming.

The hotel was also very nice and they stocked some interesting Ports from the very small Quinta’s along the Douro, one or two of which seem only to be available in Portugal.

Anyway, my friend and I recently discussed going back to the Douro to visit another Quinta for his 50th.

I was wondering if you were familiar with any particular Port houses that were happy to host a tour, tasting and lunch?

1 Like

I can help on Taylors, Fonseca and Croft and I have enough contacts in Portugal to get some good recomendations, happy to help my home email address is on my Bio

2 Likes

Opened this for World Sauvignon Blanc day and after some advice from the owner’s son, it was decanted and served around 14C. Very good especially the absence of pyrazines. While these grape days are somewhat gimmicky they offer the chance to go somewhat off piste with loads of other people.

4 Likes

DBM wines says that “This blend of Malbec with 33% Cabernet Sauvignon from Luján de Cuyo and the Uco Valley is typically fine and elegant, with subtle wood, graceful tannins and a lingering finish. Approximately half of the volume of the 2017 Amancaya matured in oak barrels, and the other half was kept in concrete vats for one year.”

I’ve been look for this for a month because it was recommended to me by an old friend. It arrived this week and I opened a bottle this evening to see what the fuss was all about. It’s the product of a collaboration between Lafite and Catena in the Argentine.
I think it’s quite thin in the mouth, despite looking a gorgeous blackberry colour. On the nose Cabernet Sauvignon dominates, but it tastes more of the Malbec. I would have hoped that it had potential to age, but I don’t think so. It’s a pleasant wine, but not great.

24 hrs later, the tannins have mellowed and it’s become more rounded with a hint of cherries as it finishes. Should be ok with my steak tonight, if not it’s become quaffable.

3 Likes

Lovely. Fully mature and integrated.

5 Likes

A very nice Primitivo from Magestic got delivered this week. It was a substitution for a Mouvedre that was out of stock not that disappointed as its rather tasty.

Paired with this.

4 Likes

A Marlborough NZ Pinot Noir, not sure about this one. After opening it smelt like paspalum, the tasting notes said strawberry, raspberry and wild berries. Thankfully after a bit of air it tastes better and hopefully should go with tonight’s roast pork.

3 Likes

I was pleased to find the Montes Alpha syrah 2013 reduced to £9.20 at my local Co-op in Elm Grove, Southsea, this morning Richard. It’s a long way off your fiver but still a decent reduction.

Still a few bottles left for any forumers in the PO5 postcode

4 Likes

Another shout out to Lloyds Bank customers with a Club Lloyds current account.

There’s a 20% cash back available at the moment on all orders from Averys of Bristol.

Nice one, during lockdown?

1 Like

Chateau Pavie Macquin 2008
Thursday’s tipple, a friend and I each had a bottle. Deep youthful ruby, lush round nose. Cassis, blackberry, a lovely blackberry leaf mintiness, and smooth cedar oak on the nose. Rich ripe sweet fruit on the palate, very lush feel, blackcurrant, blackberry, something darker, good acidity, chocolate tannins with some cedar, liquorice, nice herbs on the palate, long finish with lighter fruit lingering in the perfume. It is well balanced, very rich palate with a smooth velvet lush texture, lots of powerful fruit and a reasonable structure of acidity and mocha tannins. Leans slightly to richness rather than structure, very nice drink.

The friend I drink with and I take turn to choose the tipple, then send each other a bottle picture to ensure we have the same wine. This shot of the bottle amused me, it’s sitting on my cellar floor, but seems to be floating.

9 Likes

Our Kiwi friends might be better placed to comment, but I’ve not really had any Marlborough Pinots I thought were great. They tend to have nice enough fruit, but lack the structure and complexity that I think Pinot needs to stop it being a bit like Ribena (British blackcurrant squash drink). Martinborough and Central Otago on the other hand…

2 Likes

I used to think that until I tried this. It was a London tasting and winemakers were there. Much more European in style with proper structure from decent acidity. I bought a case!

3 Likes